Why are puffers so stinkin' cute?

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh, meet Doby. He's been with me a month.

This little guy caused me to completely change the direction I was going with my new 120g tank. On the bright side, I learned yesterday that "He" will chase a laser spot around the tank...

PXL_20231009_211050660~2.jpg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's a cutie. I call them wet pets. I'd love to have a porky but that would require an additional dedicated tank which I'm just not up too.
I find it funny how people not in the hobby look at me like I'm nuts when I talk about the personalities of some of my fish.
Be careful with the laser
:winking-face:

OP
OP
rhitee93

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with the laser
:winking-face:
Yeah, that is something that I shouldn't gloss over. I work with lasers in my day job, and forget that not everyone realizes the damage they can do to eyes. They aren't the toys they are sold as. Hard telling what one could do to a fish eye that is geared toward low light conditions.

I was heading towards a mixed reef tank that was going to have multiple clams as centerpieces. I guess that plan is out for now :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

What will probably happen is this little guy will grow up over the next year or so as the tank matures. Then he'll end up going home with me to a new tank of his own. (This 120g is in my office at work)

Who knows? Maybe this is the start to the predator tanks I was daydreaming about...

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they considered reef safe? I had one when I was much younger and I have the opportunity to get one again... but I'm rather hesitant about tetradontiformes and their teeth.

OP
OP
rhitee93

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they considered reef safe? I had one when I was much younger and I have the opportunity to get one again... but I'm rather hesitant about tetradontiformes and their teeth.
Generally no, they are not considered reef safe. That is what is causing my change in direction. I do plan to put in a soft corals to see how it goes.

This is a green spotted puffer which is a oddity among puffers as well. This one wasn't much more than a fry when I got it, but my LFS had it in a full marine environment already so I just followed suit.

I was interested in a puffer because of the stories I have head about their interactions with humans. The LFS had half a dozen of these little guys in a tank and at first I just thought, "Aw, how cute". Then, every time I walked by the tank, this one in particular would swim up to the glass and follow me by. Kind of melted my heart.

In all honestly I goofed a bit. I had looked into puffers quite a bit, and strongly considering getting one at the time. Standing there in the store, I thought I knew what a GSP was. Once I got home I started doing the research I should have done beforehand and realized I had my puffers mixed up in my head. Oh well, Doby is mine now and the tank is his.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back