Why can’t I get my bean animal to siphon?

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand it right - it is mold resistant - it means probably that it contains anti mold chemicals - and of many experiences (not mine - but it was a large concern when these Silicons was introduced here in Sweden 20 - 30 years ago) I know that they will kill most of your animals if it is in contact with your aquarium water

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I understand it right - it is mold resistant - it means probably that it contains anti mold chemicals - and of many experiences (not mine - but it was a large concern when these Silicons was introduced here in Sweden 20 - 30 years ago) I know that they will kill most of your animals if it is in contact with your aquarium water

Sincerely Lasse

Steve made it very clear to use one that does not contain mold or mildew preventatives, so I’m assuming he was also aware of this.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also it’s not going in my tank, only on the back. I stumbled upon this thread though, on tips for installing bulkheads. First tip is no silicone....

E2DEF428-BEB6-4C12-A691-B21EAC486B84.png

Steved350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t always do that when Installing some of these new overflows. Most of them have a gasket between the outside box and the glass. That’s the gasket that you have leaking.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can’t always do that when Installing some of these new overflows. Most of them have a gasket between the outside box and the glass. That’s the gasket that you have leaking.
Right, so you’re saying you can’t always install them dry?

Steved350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not if you have a hole that’s got glass chips like you described way back at the beginning of the post that the gasket might not seal. Your going to get 100 different opinions. I have used it both ways. If there’s one I’m worried about I use silicon.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was discussing this with marine modular he said to get gasket sheet from auto parts and use that. This is all they had, it’s like a cardboard and it’s pretty thin.

image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checking out the nut in my overflow box, I can get my fingernail in between the nut and the box, in one spot, the top. It only leaks when I fire it up and water reaches the top of the nut. This could be the problem? It’s the only spot I can squeeze my fingernail.

image.jpg

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I use that paper gasket and put it behind the nut over the bulkhead?

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would want to know what the gasket material is made of. Could it contaminate the tank?
Yeah that’s my thought as well. Looking on BRS at more gaskets, they are out of the regular 2” gaskets, only have replacements for the abs bulkheads. What’s the difference?

Steved350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn’t be any. Could be wrong but any gasket used for bulkheads in aquarium service should work

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite a difference in price for some reason.

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how did you make out with your bulkhead? I just tested my overflow today and was having the exact same problems as you were. (that's how I stumbled on this thread)

I still need to play around with my siphon and drain heights etc. but I'm having the same issue where the main siphon doesn't drain AT ALL

Plus two out of five of my bulkheads are leaking very slowly... takes a half hour to notice it but its definitely coming from under the gasket(wet side) and out the box on the threads(dry side)

Ready to call it a day and start fresh tomorrow

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how did you make out with your bulkhead? I just tested my overflow today and was having the exact same problems as you were. (that's how I stumbled on this thread)

I still need to play around with my siphon and drain heights etc. but I'm having the same issue where the main siphon doesn't drain AT ALL

Plus two out of five of my bulkheads are leaking very slowly... takes a half hour to notice it but its definitely coming from under the gasket(wet side) and out the box on the threads(dry side)

Ready to call it a day and start fresh tomorrow

Well my bulkhead that was leaking, really wasnt a huge issue. It only leaked when I had filled to the brim (about where the water level would be if the main and secondary clogged, which most likely the primary won’t ever clog). Also that was when I had the emergency clogged, so it was just still water. However I wrapped the bulkhead really well with Teflon tape, took care of the leak. My only issue with the primary not draining was simply the depth that my pipes were submerged in my sump. Had to cut them so they’re only about a inch below the water, and the main takes on full siphon very time now.

Snyder1456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my bulkhead that was leaking, really wasnt a huge issue. It only leaked when I had filled to the brim (about where the water level would be if the main and secondary clogged, which most likely the primary won’t ever clog). Also that was when I had the emergency clogged, so it was just still water. However I wrapped the bulkhead really well with Teflon tape, took care of the leak. My only issue with the primary not draining was simply the depth that my pipes were submerged in my sump. Had to cut them so they’re only about a inch below the water, and the main takes on full siphon very time now.
Nice. I just adjusted my discharge to an inch below too. Can't test it yet cause I did wind up putting a small bead of silicon on the dry side of the bulkhead and it needs to cure.

Back