Why can't I keep LPS

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice that your iodine is low. I started dosing iodide about six months ago and it seemed to make a difference in growth and color in my lps and montis. This is purely antidotal and other people will tell you it doesn't matter

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I notice that your iodine is low. I started dosing iodide about six months ago and it seemed to make a difference in growth and color in my lps and montis. This is purely antidotal and other people will tell you it doesn't matter
I actually agree with this and feel one or two key trace elements can make quite a difference in a tank. These elements may be different because each tank is unique. For me it was Zinc. I had undetectable Zinc levels so started dosing few ML per week and boom lots of brighter colors and pop particularly yellow acros.

OP
OP
dakoop

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions besides iodine? I am killing some pretty basic corals and have no clue why.

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, start carbon dosing not to reduce N&P but to feed the microbiome on which your corals depend.
For example: I dose KZ Spongpower, TM Elimi NP, TM ReefActif, and TM Amino organics.
My tank (2.5 years old):
Photo 25-03-2024, 15 41 02.jpg

OP
OP
dakoop

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm losing my red monti cap frag. That stuff grows in a toilet bowl. Anything else to look for that I missed?

OP
OP
dakoop

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so everything was going well and then the tank started going down hill how long ago did it start declining?
I got lazy on maintenance and let it go. Nitrates and phosphates got out of hand and hair algae took over.

moosevandyke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got lazy on maintenance and let it go. Nitrates and phosphates got out of hand and hair algae took over.
It can take a few weeks even a bit longer for some corals to show stress.. My personal guess is the elevated phosphates for an extended period of time, high alk and possible swings if water isn't being tested daily might have resulted in a slow decline overtime. If things are not just melting then its seems more likely just poor water parameters and quality. The ICP however states different on water which makes me think even more about just not ideal conditions via alk, phosphate and maybe light a little hot but 150 in my opinion is not to bad...

if it was me:) I would stop dosing alk and let it drop slow and test daily until ya get around 8-8.5 then start dosing as needed, lower phosphate organically via water changes feed less etc, GFO is great but dang it can strip a tank fast causing more problems. See if you can hit that 100/1 ratio.

OP
OP
dakoop

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take a few weeks even a bit longer for some corals to show stress.. My personal guess is the elevated phosphates for an extended period of time, high alk and possible swings if water isn't being tested daily might have resulted in a slow decline overtime. If things are not just melting then its seems more likely just poor water parameters and quality. The ICP however states different on water which makes me think even more about just not ideal conditions via alk, phosphate and maybe light a little hot but 150 in my opinion is not to bad...

if it was me:) I would stop dosing alk and let it drop slow and test daily until ya get around 8-8.5 then start dosing as needed, lower phosphate organically via water changes feed less etc, GFO is great but dang it can strip a tank fast causing more problems. See if you can hit that 100/1 ratio.
The tank has been steady for a while now. I put in some elbow grease and effort to get tons of water changes and gfo to get nitrate and phosphate under control. The hair algae died off then I started adding some coral. It has been steady for a while now. I did let the alk drop. I have a trident and dos so it stays pretty steady, only a .3 alk variance.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240521_200408_APEXFusion.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240521_200408_APEXFusion.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 19

moosevandyke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea it has awesome. So how are the new corals you have added? are those the ones dying off or is it ones that went through all the changes? just curious do you have a recent full tank shot? love to see it. I am no expert by any means but have have dealt with similar problems.. I think sometimes there is a lot of bad advice out there so don't want to be giving any of that:) here is my tank now so you have some reference im not just making things up:)

The tank has been steady for a while now. I put in some elbow grease and effort to get tons of water changes and gfo to get nitrate and phosphate under control. The hair algae died off then I started adding some coral. It has been steady for a while now. I did let the alk drop. I have a trident and dos so it stays pretty steady, only a .3 alk variance.

Attachments

• IMG_3142.jpeg
    IMG_3142.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
dakoop

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crappy full tank shot. I have abundance of GSP and hairy mushrooms. The new coral are the dying ones

Attachments

• 20231217_155003.jpg
    20231217_155003.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
dakoop

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea it has awesome. So how are the new corals you have added? are those the ones dying off or is it ones that went through all the changes? just curious do you have a recent full tank shot? love to see it. I am no expert by any means but have have dealt with similar problems.. I think sometimes there is a lot of bad advice out there so don't want to be giving any of that:) here is my tank now so you have some reference im not just making things up:)
Appreciate your input/help in my issue

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The million dollar question is what fish are in the tank? Maybe a fish that was added developed a taste for acans & other LPS?

Back