Why do pre built sumps have a flow slot mid way down in the drain/skimmer section?

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning my sump build and I was just wondering what the purpose is? Is this so the fuge area gets skimmed also? Is it necessary or recommended?

OP
OP
b4tn

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an example. It looks to me like the water height in the return chamber is dictated by the baffle for the return pump chamber. The only thing I can think of is so that the water in both number 1 and 2 chambers is skimmed.
Ruby-30.jpg

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald2.png

Are you talking about like the fish cut out in that baffle separating the 2 chambers?

If so my guess is so that the skimmer section and fuge is separated so that the there isnt a lot of flow but water still passes between the chambers. If I remember correctly refugiums arent supposed to have a lot of flow.

OP
OP
b4tn

b4tn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald2.png

Are you talking about like the fish cut out in that baffle separating the 2 chambers?

If so my guess is so that the skimmer section and fuge is separated so that the there isnt a lot of flow but water still passes between the chambers. If I remember correctly refugiums arent supposed to have a lot of flow.

Yes! But I guess I dont see how flow will be any different vs just flowing over the edge.

booth2010

Newb but eager to learn!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It probably isnt that much different but how much cooler is a fish cut-out vs just flowing over another baffle? lol. On top of that if it was another baffle to flow over you would not be able to adjust the height without a baffle becoming useless, unless both were adjustable

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 142 74.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back