0   0   0
IMG_2386.JPG

Fragzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0619.JPG

Just noticed this thread, thanks for the info as well. Mine however has been like this since I got it. Got it from joshporksandwich in Houston about a month and a half ago. It did sprout a baby as you can tell.

If it's growing still I wouldn't do anything. My Krak God single polyp frag did it but still threw out pups and I got over 30 polyps now.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump.

So I think my zoas look worse... I'm going to turn the lights down and see if that helps them.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got any updates / findings on this now please?

They look a lot better. My tank is a little messy. Hopefully I can clean it all this weekend. Need to mix some saltwater up.

IMG_3197.JPG

Don't confuse umbrella syndrome with normal reaction to be touched or having food presented.

When the later happens they go back to normal straight away but what the op has is not that as they are staying that way.

I've experienced this happening many times in my tank and its directly related to sudden changes in lighting, particularly changes in lighting during the normal day light schedule ((I.e suddenly changing spectrum or intensity while the lights are on). This also includes sudden changes in water clarity I.e adding lots of carbon or UV filter suddenly))

Sometimes they get better in a few weeks if left on their own and put back into same environment before change, sometimes you have to put them out of direct light for a while to recover (indirect light not low light). I've also had to put them under more white light to recover.

I've also found that dosing hydrogen peroxide at night helps to relax the zoa and they eventually go back to normal.

I watched some HD smurfs go umbrella shaped when I turned the whites on my kessil a350 from 50% power to 30% during daylight hours and they went umbrella shaped and they've been recovering for the last week (white now at 50%). If they're not back to normal by Monday I will dose some h202 and it will help them.

I don't remember the timeline but I did add Carbon/GFO to my refugium not too long ago. I removed it probably 2 weeks ago now. I also moved these Frags since then away from the light. Probably lowered intensity and eventually raised duration and intensity again.

JakeLikesReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this happen before a few times, TBH im not sure what caused it. In every case the zoas made a full "recovery" and returned to normal with time.

Thanks,
Jake

Fragzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this happen before a few times, TBH im not sure what caused it. In every case the zoas made a full "recovery" and returned to normal with time.

Thanks,
Jake

Yeah they do it all the time and come back that's not a problem.

The problems when they do it and DON'T go back. I've got some that have been like it for months and have no sign of going back to normal.

Fernselvis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing h202 twice a day, off and on for a few months. I have probably 8 or 9 varieties of zoas, including some of the pricier "designer" blends. I've had nothing but amazing growth. They'll close up for about 5 mins when I first squirt the h202 into the tank, but then recover quickly after that and are back out and happy.
Can you give a little more info on how you dose h2o2 and the measurements thnx. Is this safe to do in mixed reef with sps.

FLReefer101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my utter chaos have been doing the same thing but started after I fed reefroids. My fava acted strange also after I fed it. I have not fed my tank since waiting for them to come back. The fava has come back to normal but my uttter chaos have not. My tank parameters are excellent and my lighting has not changed. I’m running radions and have been since setting up my tank. My lfs said wait and see if they poop. My fava did and is fine now. It’s been about 3 weeks and they are still full of color and look great so not sure the issue.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have scoured this forum and have a multitude of conflicting info.

Why are some of my zoa's taking on a umbrella shape? Mostly the magicians

Water parameters are fine, est. tank. The rest of the reef is on point

I just started feeding reef roids to both my tanks and noticed this after feeding. Normal?

Rastas are in one tank and magicians in the other
Mine get that droopy umbrella look when there is a major change in the tank parameters. Taking them from low light to high light, or a very large water change will do it for a couple different colonies. The rest seem unaffected.

Takes about a week before they go back to normal for me.

FLReefer101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my salinity was around 1.023 to 1.024. I raised my salinity to 1.025 and my Zoe’s completely went from umbrella to normal by the following day. My refractometer was off on calibration and I just realized this. Once it was correct everything went back to normal. I know this isn’t the fix for everyone but leads me to believe that parameters are probably off if the are in the umbrella syndrome.

Back