Why do zoas "randomly" die?

DanTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, basically all of my zoas have closed up and/or started to melt away. As unfortunate as it is, I didn't have too much room and most of them were still small frags, so no huge loses. It seems like it's a fairly common occurrence for this to happen. In people's experience, what causes this? I'm sure there is a variety of factors including lighting, flow, etc. Only thing I can think of is that my salinity fluctuated a tad during the past week or so, but nothing major. All my fish, LPS, and softies are doing fine.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need more info. There can be parameter swings or some specific pests (zoa eating spiders for example). How old is your tank ? How long this is happening ? Do you have any sps? What type of zoas you lost ?

OP
OP
DanTer

DanTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need more info. There can be parameter swings or some specific pests (zoa eating spiders for example). How old is your tank ? How long this is happening ? Do you have any sps? What type of zoas you lost ?

Tank is about a year and a month at this point. They have been unhealthy for about a week. Last time I added any livestock was about 4 months ago. I've lost my utter chaos, eagle eyes, radioactive dragon eyes, tutti fruttis, green bay packers, among others. My alpha omegas look fine, just not really opening. I'm not necessarily looking for a solution, just more curious as to people's experience and if they have discovered what personally wiped out their zoas. It's kind of more of a poll than seeking advice.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add a poll in your post, if thats exactly what you want.
radioactive dragon eyes are pretty hardy. I have never experienced anything like this.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back