Why does my BTA act like it’s dying?

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only to be fine minutes later? It happens several times a week at least (that I see) where it deflates and retracts and it’s mouth gapes so bad it looks like it’s throwing up. I almost pulled it out several times until I realized this is just a part of its routine. After it’s done it’s mouth closes and it reinflates and is fine until it does it again.
It’s my second BTA. First one was great until I killed it by moving rocks. It never did this death dance. I’ve had it for a month now. I’ve fed it once. All other livestock is fine including 2 RFA’s. Parameters are in check

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed it often? Sounds like it’s just expelling waste.

OP
OP
Bam327

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not waste. I’ve seen them poop before and this is different. And I’ve only fed it once since I’ve had it. I’m sure it catches some residual from feeding the fish but no big meals.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not waste. I’ve seen them poop before and this is different. And I’ve only fed it once since I’ve had it. I’m sure it catches some residual from feeding the fish but no big meals.
Hmm if it always comes back like you stated I would not worry about it.

KellyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BTA has also been weird. I moved it into my new tank and it did the crawl around the rocks thing trying to find a happy place and then stuck itself in a tiny space between two rocks and out a hole that’s too small for it to fit thru so now I only get to see like 20% of it....ugggggghh. I was trying to get a home for my clown fish but I didn’t want a mobile home with a mind of its own...

OP
OP
Bam327

Bam327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pic of it in action. Pardon the blue wash

5F43429D-F93B-43EC-A9F5-A31DBA0C67A8.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back