Why, hello there!

Steve K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to jump into the Newbie forum :)

I'm Steve and I've had freshwater tanks for a while. My main tank is a 60G high-tech planted community tank.

I recently made the leap to the salty side of the water and started up a reef tank. It's a 40 gal. breeder. It's sitting on top of one of those steel garage shelves that I cladded in beadboard paneling.

I have a DIY sump/refugeum I built out of a spare 29 gallon I had laying around. A bit taller than what I needed, but hey, it was free :)

I'm using a HOB overflow with an aqualifter. I just didn't trust myself to drill the $1/gal breeder tank.

For rock I used Florida dry rock (it's kind of ugly but coraline has finally started to grow on the rock). I seeded everything with live rubble and chaeto in the fuge.

I'm currently using the world's cheapest and crappiest skimmer in the sump. Hope I win the giveaway I just entered for a good one.

Coral-wise I have some basic stuff, mostly from those mystery frag packs you can get cheap online. I have some zoas, mushrooms a couple brain corals. One of those things that looks like a stick with polyps on it.

I also did finally actually choose some coral as well, a toadstool mushroom, pulsing xenia, a nice kenya tree and a seriously bright monti cap.

I haven't finished stocking the fish yet, but I have a clown, a neon dottyback and a couple damsels. A condy and a bubble tip anemone, neither of which I see that often.

Here's a quickie FTS I took. Turns out the iPhone isn't a great camera for taking shots of reef tanks.

fts-june-4.jpg

It's hard to see in pictures but the hardscape isn't really flat, there's some dimension to it. The very light rock in the back and front were added a couple days ago to help fill things out a bit.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Great tank!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Nice tank, I like the aquascaping!!

OP
OP
Steve K

Steve K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I hope to one day have a reef that looks as good as some of the ones I see here. I started out trying to do an inexpensive reef tank, but that went out the window ages ago, this is an addictive hobby!

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, looking forward More!:)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back