Why NOT to use 96 Gallon Trash Cans!

Clueless_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I wanted to share some recent experiences I had when trying to upgrade out of the 40 Gallon Brute trash cans when doing my tank transfer. Notionally - the idea was to make life easy by getting these Toter, 96 gallon cans since they seemed durable enough. In practice, it was not the case. Video explanation as follows :)

OP
OP
Clueless_Reefer

Clueless_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good video. Square shape and thin plastic makes those bad. Also is is a food safe material? most likely not.
Appreciate it! Yea, thats a good point and not exactly sure if theyre food safe either. At first look when I purchased those Toters...they look like a composite-mesh type of construction. Upon inspection, if you get a weak point, you end up with a hole!

On that same note though, are the Brute's food-safe? I've never looked....

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Brutes are made for food prep and are food safe. That is why everyone uses them.
The only ones NOT food safe are the GREEN ones! the green dye will leach out
Has that been proven? Just curious because I have been using a green one for my RO/DI water for years and haven't had any issues...or maybe I have lol.

prdubois

Check out my 225gal: https://www.reef2reef.com/th
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going off of this: https://findanyanswer.com/are-rubbermaid-trash-cans-food-safe

On this site, all the stock numbers start with "FG" (except for the green one)

Better to be safe then Sorry.

OP
OP
Clueless_Reefer

Clueless_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I called Rubbermaid Commercial Products.

Answer is:
If you want to be 100% safe use the Grey or White. Green is NOT food safe. Other colors are somewhat food safe.
Nice one on calling and good to have the official word.

My guess is - if you don't leave the water in the green container for days, it would likely take extended periods of time for the leaching to occur; it probably doesn't have an instant affect.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice one on calling and good to have the official word.

My guess is - if you don't leave the water in the green container for days, it would likely take extended periods of time for the leaching to occur; it probably doesn't have an instant affect.
Mine has been consistently filled for several years lol. It is my RO/DI storage container which is always filled.

pochaxoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using a 96 gallon HuskyLite trash can that is HDPE 2 you are good to go. I have had this as a large buffer sump for over 6 years. Other materials are a problem on these big cans

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! I wanted to share some recent experiences I had when trying to upgrade out of the 40 Gallon Brute trash cans when doing my tank transfer. Notionally - the idea was to make life easy by getting these Toter, 96 gallon cans since they seemed durable enough. In practice, it was not the case. Video explanation as follows :)

This is a neat video!

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 44.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 58 46.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back