Will a Tank Bred Clownfish Choose a Host?

JasonPG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!

I get asked pretty frequently if a Tank Bred Clownfish will choose a Host. The instinct to choose a host is just as strong as in a wild caught specimen.

This "Teardrop Onyx" was a pretty unique misbar that I decided to add to my personal collection after the local buyer had backed out. He hatched on November 4, 2011. The first pic was taken a year ago when he was only 5 months old.

TeardropOnyx.jpg

And this is what you can expect a Premium Onyx Clownfish to look like around the 16 month mark.

teardroponyx_zps7370396f.jpg

As you can see, he is very happy in his BTA!

[video=youtube;azPTQWV6KVw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azPTQWV6KVw[/video]

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can second that as my tank bred simple Occ clowns host in an RBTA as well. It is an instinct that sometimes needs to be triggered but it is there even in tank bred clowns.

oceancube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice onyx there, thats what i call a true onyx when they have black fins, lots of people consider true perculas as onyx just cause they have black body, to me onyx has to have black fins and black chest.. very nice specimen and the tear adds to his character...

MelissaKathryn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really beautiful fish! Stunning! How long did it take for your clownfish to start hosting BTA? We just got our BTA on Friday and so far the two ocellaris have shown intrigue regarding the new invertebrate and swim around it, but don't actually get within about 2 inches of it. I read somewhere that they have to build up an immunity to the anemone? I also read somewhere else that it helps to tape a picture of a clownfish hosting a BTA to help them get the picture, but I don't want to encourage too soon if they need to build up.

Thanks for all the advice so far!

carlosR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a problem getting my clownfish to accept a rather large colony of mushroom anemones as a host. They have bred several times in them. There was never any need to do anything special beyond add fish + anemone! It has been interesting to see how the pairs change with the death of one fish and the introduction of another, the sexual roles change. That is a beautiful clownfish.

OP
OP
JasonPG

JasonPG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really beautiful fish! Stunning! How long did it take for your clownfish to start hosting BTA? We just got our BTA on Friday and so far the two ocellaris have shown intrigue regarding the new invertebrate and swim around it, but don't actually get within about 2 inches of it. I read somewhere that they have to build up an immunity to the anemone? I also read somewhere else that it helps to tape a picture of a clownfish hosting a BTA to help them get the picture, but I don't want to encourage too soon if they need to build up.

Thanks for all the advice so far!
I've seen hosting take days, months and sometimes never at all! Just depends on the fish. I think you are correct that the fish needs to build up something in their slime coat but I'm not sure if anyone has determined for a fact if it's an anti-venom type of deal or if it's actually a camouflage that prevents the fish from getting stung in the first place. As far as the picture, although it's a cute idea I think it has absolutely zero chance of success. The best way I can think of to encourage hosting would be to remove any existing hosts, such as a powerhead, or give them a little scare with a net and move them in the direction of the anemone. They'll figure it out. : )

OP
OP
JasonPG

JasonPG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a problem getting my clownfish to accept a rather large colony of mushroom anemones as a host. They have bred several times in them. There was never any need to do anything special beyond add fish + anemone! It has been interesting to see how the pairs change with the death of one fish and the introduction of another, the sexual roles change. That is a beautiful clownfish.
Thanks. I've seen quite a few clownfish hosting in mushrooms. They were all active spawners as well. A friend of mine recently lost her female saddleback and the male made the gender change and actually laid a nest with the replacement juvenile saddleback in under 8 weeks. I'm curious if he had begun the change prior to her death and was actually the cause of it?

Doom616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently my tank bred clownfish is hosting in my Ding Dang palys. Unfortunately I'm not too happy about that :mad:

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 62 27.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 47 21.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 20.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back