Will an 85G upstairs be okay?

Ryderrr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

Picking up an 85G tomorrow, dimensions are 4' x 21" x 20" and i really want to put it upstairs.

I live in quite an old house (almost 300 YO) and trying to work out whether my floor will hold it. It'll be against an external wall, I've worked out my joists are 15" apart so I should hopefully be across atleast 3 (depending on placement)

I know it's hard to say without knowing the grade of wood, sizes and anything else but just wanted some opinions really.

Many thanks

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
700lbs. Get 4 of your buddies to stand there and see if the floor sags

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope so, I have an 83g I’m putting upstairs :)

But yes it should be fine. Weight of this aquarium is approximate 850 lbs,

Spread over 4 feet. That’s a couple adults standing in a group. If you had a few adults standing side by side, back to back, would you ever question if they would fall through to the first floor

Klag

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

Picking up an 85G tomorrow, dimensions are 4' x 21" x 20" and i really want to put it upstairs.

I live in quite an old house (almost 300 YO) and trying to work out whether my floor will hold it. It'll be against an external wall, I've worked out my joists are 15" apart so I should hopefully be across atleast 3 (depending on placement)

I know it's hard to say without knowing the grade of wood, sizes and anything else but just wanted some opinions really.

Many thanks
I have a 90 upstairs. Place near a load bearing wall and run the tank perpendicular to the floor joists (try to be over as many as possible). It should have zero issues if you place it in the right spot.

OP
OP
R

Ryderrr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I'll give it a go, probably fill it 3/4 and see if there's any bowing

NewRobert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 100 upstairs next to a wall on a thin pine floor (3/4" boards) covered with plywood-sheets (1") with joists 22" apart no issues. Before I re-did the floor there was no plywood sheet over it and even that held, was just a bit springy when kids would run across the room.

I think you'll be fine

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back