Will coral be ok in a tank with a small hair algae problem?

Jhbard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has to much Nutrients I'm working on it But it's not big enough for most protein skimmers.
So my main concern is the fact that the hair algae is only growing in a few thick clumps on the rock leaving the rest completely untouched. It's been like this for a while so will some small corals do ok in these clean areas or should I wait till the problem is resolved.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has to much Nutrients I'm working on it But it's not big enough for most protein skimmers.
So my main concern is the fact that the hair algae is only growing in a few thick clumps on the rock leaving the rest completely untouched. It's been like this for a while so will some small corals do ok in these clean areas or should I wait till the problem is resolved.
Coral will likely be fine. Depends on the coral though. Soft corals tend to be more okay with higher nutrients. The hair algae itself can bother the coral if it's rubbing against them, but that's less of the issue than the nutrients imo

OP
OP
Jhbard

Jhbard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral will likely be fine. Depends on the coral though. Soft corals tend to be more okay with higher nutrients. The hair algae itself can bother the coral if it's rubbing against them, but that's less of the issue than the nutrients imo
I only intended to grow Green Star Polyps & Zoanthids so in that case I think I'll be alright.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back