Will higher flow promote PE?

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking at my tank and my acros are doing well but the PE doesn’t seem that great. Had me wondering if upping the flow would promote better PE. My Nero 3 runs around 620gph while my return is about 140gph. Tank itself is 7.4g

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That comes out to 100 times flow. That is more than most SPS people run. The figure I see for SPS is 40 times flow. But World Wide Corals does 100 times flow. I think your flow is not a problem. It must be something else: light, nutrients, stuff to filter from the water column, you did not chant the right incantation.....

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That comes out to 100 times flow. That is more than most SPS people run. The figure I see for SPS is 40 times flow. But World Wide Corals does 100 times flow. I think your flow is not a problem. It must be something else: light, nutrients, stuff to filter from the water column, you did not chant the right incantation.....
Yeah I’m just trying to get a feel for acros. This is my first real stab at them. I my mag and calcium has been a little low and I’m slowly bringing it up so hopefully that helps. I’d also like to rent a par meter at some point

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not likely. Corals mostly use their polyps in the daytime for gas exchange - more flow means more water moving by and less gas exchange. Turn all of your pumps off for 20-30 minutes and watch the polyps really start to come out - or whatever time it takes.

PE is not a sign of anything. Don't worry about it. Look to color and growth as better indicators of health.

I would only worry if an otherwise normally hairy acropora is all of a sudden not hairy anymore.... or vice versa.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 152 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back