Will it work ??? 2" PVC skimmer.............

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i had some time to blow this sunday and i've been looking at some DIY skimmers. So i decided to try and make one for a Tank im planning. So DO NOT COPY THIS YET !!!! ITS NOT GUARANTEED TO WORK !!:tongue:

Im Putting together a Skimmer made out of scrap parts i had laying around. ( plus a couple i had to buy)

Its being made with a 2" pvc tube for the body. And powered by a MJ1900 With a Bioball mod and Air intake drilled in the bottom intake side.
The Maxijet is located 3" above the water output. And the Hight of the water will be determined by the T i installed on the water out. I modded the t so a Piece of 3/4 can be slid into the top of it and be Raised/ lowered to let more or less water thru. The main body is 2 ft tall with PVC size adapters for the cone. Im not stuck on the size i may shorten it later. ( not gluing yet) Collection cup will be a rubbermaid when i buy one But for testing its going to be topless.

Pics will come after dinner. It would be nice if this works But i have my doubts. I figured id make this post as i didnt see many that were a fail. So if this dosnt work then someone else that has the same idea wont have to try :wink:

Breakin Newz

WINNING!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it'll work but i'll be following this thread! Let's see some pics!

OP
OP
T

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the parts

The collection Assembly
Its 2 small sections of 1 1/4 pvc THe coupler has a small section on the bottom that just fits inside the reducer Coupler on the top of the Main chamber. Then the top of the 1 1/4 coupler goes thru a 2'' to 1 1/2 reducer and extends above it. The way this is set up it will allow me to remove the waste cup with minimal effort. And im lazy and cheap. Didnt want to spend $$ on a union...

DSCF0688.jpg

Water output adj.

This is a T thats in line i modded the 3/4 inch pvc to slide into the top of the farther. I used a dremal tool to grind out the inside of the t down to the bottom of the opening. And a bench grinder to turn the 3/4 pipe down a little on the end. Now i can raise / lower the pipe to adjust the amount of water leaving and raise the water inside the reaction chamber.

DSCF0686.jpg

DSCF0687.jpg

Skimmer main body

This is where i got My doubts. I drilled holes with the hole saw and a 5/8 drill bit. The bit was for the Maxijet and was drilled at a slight angle to move the bubbles away and up. The water out side has a 90 deg elbow inside pointing down to the bottom of the Body. And going threw conecting to another 90 deg elbow. That is then connected to a Modd T. My hopes will be that i wont get any bubbles coming out this way and the rest will have no choice but to travel up and out the collection cup!
The questionable area here is that i used clear silicone and not fittings to attach these parts to the main body..... If i could have found uni seals i would have used them!

DSCF0690.jpg

OP
OP
T

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well as of now i have WAY tomany bubbles coming out....altho my flow valve works great. i think i know how to fix it.

OP
OP
T

twintrades

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah I would have had to relocate the holes and add a bubble plate. I needed the powerhead and section of pipe for a freshwater tank. SO i had to tear this apart. Oh well Ill lable this as a half *** FAIL! lol

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back