Will my clownfish ok after sucked in jebao powerhead?

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang it . Just found this guy got sucked in the jebao wave.. with fish guard on it.
IMG_20200818_151046.jpg

15977779418121488942720502223141.jpg

I don't know how long he was in there. It's like he was just sleeping on the bottom part of the fish guard.

Hopefully he'll make it through. After I shut the pump off and free him from it, he was just laying on the sand for few minutes. Now he has moved spot and swimming. All I can see is one of his bottom fin is hurt. And some of his scales discolored.

Anything I should do?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,looks ,and hopefully will be ok,and probs come back here :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the clown has some milky / cloudy skin. Was it like that before getting stuck to the pump? My worry is when I see that on a clown, I immediately start thinking Brooklynella, and then I got to thinking that maybe it got stuck to the pump because it wasn't swimming strongly enough due to the brook infection....

Jay

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the clown has some milky / cloudy skin. Was it like that before getting stuck to the pump? My worry is when I see that on a clown, I immediately start thinking Brooklynella, and then I got to thinking that maybe it got stuck to the pump because it wasn't swimming strongly enough due to the brook infection....

Jay
+1 this

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay

Hey Jay,

I just got these clowns on Saturday. I didn't think I see that cloudy skin when I got them. The one that was sucked in was staying on that side of the tank since I add them. I was surprised when I saw him in the powerhead..that powerhead is only 2 dots from the lowest settings and its on wave mode.
Let me try to upload some video. That clown is currently swimming around more than before.

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry for the shaky video

Last edited:
OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I got these clowns from TSM Aquatics. I confirmed with them that they just came out of quarantine with copper. I did add some small hermit crabs yesterday from another lfs.
Would those hermit brought the Brooklynella?
Of course no lfs water went in the tank

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally forgot that I took pictures of them with my dslr yesterday.
I think the solo pictures is the one that has the white stuff now.

CPC_0067.JPG CPC_0068.JPG CPC_0070.JPG CPC_0071.JPG

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, that still looks like Brook to me. They look tank raised though, and brook is more common in wild caught clowns.

Still, I can’t remember ever having a healthy fish get impinged on a lower power device like that.

Hopefully this just mucus from damaged skin and it will heal up Ok

Jay

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, that still looks like Brook to me. They look tank raised though, and brook is more common in wild caught clowns.

Still, I can’t remember ever having a healthy fish get impinged on a lower power device like that.

Hopefully this just mucus from damaged skin and it will heal up Ok

Jay

He is behaving more active(erratic) now but I just tried to feed him and he's not eating. The other fish is eating the frozen mysis (thaw).

I just read up on brook, should I try FW dip for now?

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for the heck of it. I dipped him in FW for 5 mins and now he is back at his spot and seems to be much calmer

IMG_20200818_214107.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you read the Brooklynella sticky at the top of this section? It has pretty good info. The trouble is two possible drugs, formalin and chloroquine are difficult to find now. FW dips may help, but not cure. Acriflavine is supposed to work (ruby reef?) but I haven’t used that for many years.

Jay

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you read the Brooklynella sticky at the top of this section? It has pretty good info. The trouble is two possible drugs, formalin and chloroquine are difficult to find now. FW dips may help, but not cure. Acriflavine is supposed to work (ruby reef?) but I haven’t used that for many years.

Jay

The more I read, the more I think that you are right Jay. Seems to be brooks. Looking at the fish now. It seems calm but he is still gaping rapidly.

Unfortunately it will have to wait until morning before I can do anything. Hopefully he makes its through the night.

Do I need to medicate the other clown too?
Both have to be in quarantine and my DT have to be fallow for 6 weeks, right?

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Update... I called the LFS and they told me just to keep an eye of the clown for now. They said the clowns went through a full medicated quarantine before its being place in the sale area.
If the clown died of brooks, they will replace it for me.

So its been 2 days now, and he/she is still the same. Eating though. Not much mysis. But that one loves brine shrimps more.

So hopefully, it's only an injury due to the pump.

Attachments

• VID_20200820_204427.mp4
    61.2 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more I read, the more I think that you are right Jay. Seems to be brooks. Looking at the fish now. It seems calm but he is still gaping rapidly.

Unfortunately it will have to wait until morning before I can do anything. Hopefully he makes its through the night.

Do I need to medicate the other clown too?
Both have to be in quarantine and my DT have to be fallow for 6 weeks, right?
If it is Brooklynella, you may need to treat the other clown. I’m not sure how long you’ll need to leave your tank fallow. I use 45 days for brook, but longer is of course safer.
Jay

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is Brooklynella, you may need to treat the other clown. I’m not sure how long you’ll need to leave your tank fallow. I use 45 days for brook, but longer is of course safer.
Jay

So.. I know this will sound cruel. But, how many days do I have if it is brook? Looking at the fish now, it seems to be normal except for those white spots

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So.. I know this will sound cruel. But, how many days do I have if it is brook? Looking at the fish now, it seems to be normal except for those white spots
Brook kills very fast, your fish is still eating, so maybe it isn’t brook .....
Jay

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 6.9%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 49.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 16.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back