Will my Melanurus Wrasse’s tail regrow?

Andrew Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was wondering if there’s a chance my Melanurus Wrasse can regrow his tail? Thanks!

IMG_4353.jpeg IMG_4346.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been like that? It looks like it has already started to regrow to some degree.

If the fish's hypural plate is damaged, it won't grow back properly.

Jay

OP
OP
A

Andrew Stevens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the Melanurus wrasse rubbed his tail raw by fighting his own reflection. This was about a month ago.

I had to put a UV unit next to the tank because I got ostreopsis dinos. The UV sat inside a big black plastic container, which allowed him to see his reflection better. He thrashed his tail off on the sand over the course of a few days, before I could get him out.

The Melanurus went to the quarantine for a few weeks, where he went through 4 doses of Kanaplex. This was followed by one dose of neoplex. The water in the quarantine went cloudy, so I took him out for his own safety.

Any tips of tricks on how to get him healed up more? Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately the Melanurus wrasse rubbed his tail raw by fighting his own reflection. This was about a month ago.

I had to put a UV unit next to the tank because I got ostreopsis dinos. The UV sat inside a big black plastic container, which allowed him to see his reflection better. He thrashed his tail off on the sand over the course of a few days, before I could get him out.

The Melanurus went to the quarantine for a few weeks, where he went through 4 doses of Kanaplex. This was followed by one dose of neoplex. The water in the quarantine went cloudy, so I took him out for his own safety.

Any tips of tricks on how to get him healed up more? Thanks!

It sounds like you treated it for any secondary bacterial infection, so the only thing left is time for it to heal. This could take months though. Luckily, wrasse can use their pectoral fins to swim, they mainly use their tail to steer with, so the fish could live fine with no tail.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Time will dictate the degree of healing and growth to normal shape

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

I was wondering if there’s a chance my Melanurus Wrasse can regrow his tail? Thanks!

IMG_4353.jpeg IMG_4346.jpeg
Yes- it likely will look somewhat 'odd' - as mentioned above

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back