will this sump design work for a 210 84 x 24 x24

Trevor203

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am looking to have about 1500 GPH or more through this sump. The sump i am using is a 80 gallon reef tank. I want to fit as much water in as possible but i do not know if 4 inch is enough room to make sure it dose not over flow all so is a 1.5 inch gap between the bottom of the tank and the glass panels big enough. This is my first sump and saltwater tank i have had freshwater for about 10 years now. Also i want to use a sponge or some other type of maniacal filter media instead of a filter sock but could not find much about them when i searched. what are the pros and cons for using that instead of a filter sock?

sump pic.jpg

Attachments

• sump.pdf
    9.3 KB · Views: 120

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You figure 4" is going to give you about 20 gallons. Depending on your overflows, I doubt that your tank will dump 20 gallons into the sump. I have an aqueon 210 with dual overflows and I can bet it's only dumping about 7-8 gallons, if that.

OP
OP
T

Trevor203

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the middle of doing it now and I went with three and three quarters to be exact and that makes me so happy because that was my biggest worry I don't have that tank. that it's being built right now I was assuming 15 Gallons would be worse case but I wanted just a little more leeway thank you very much

20170414_205803.jpg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent, one of your earlier questions. I find filter socks to be easy and functional. You can get any configuration and size holder and just silicone to the rim. Install a bulkhead and run a downpipe past the water line to quieten. Buy a few sets. change them out weekly, and just throw them in the washer with a splash of bleach.
Trying to use a sponge straight from the overflow pipe might not work, the volume of water coming out of 1.5" pipe might be too much. It would probably clog pretty quickly as well. I use a sponge as a bubble trap before my return section.
Here's the custom sump I built

IMG_20161016_081826.jpg

OP
OP
T

Trevor203

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK I have a few more questions My tank is getting built for me and I was pretty set on going with the beans style overflow so I'm going to have two 1 1/2 inch drains a 1 inch drain as an emergency and 1 inch return on each corner overflow. Two overflows in total Question one. Is this good I've been reading up and it looks like the beans overflow is definitely the safest and quietest my second question is all the drains do you tee them together or do I need a filter sock for each drain so in total I would need 4 or 2 filter socks ?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back