Will this work?

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I've got a plan to better mount my kessil lights and I'd like to know if it will be safe. My tank is Euro braced and my water level sits so close to the bracing that if I turn the gooseneck clamps to the Euro Bracing set up the black screws are touching the water.

I wondered if it would work if I silicone some glass along the top of the bracing and attach the gooseneck clamps to it. I've taken a pic and sketched what I mean below.

ae055d9e80d8f9763cc04d46e7938fe6.jpg

The top of the bracing to the top of the tank is 1 inch so that whole inch would be siliconed and I need 2 inches of glass to go above the lip of the tank for the gooseneck clamps to fit.

I have a couple of questions if this isn't too crazy an idea:

What thickness of glass should I use?

I want to mount 4 a160we like this, would longer strips supporting two each be better or should I do 4 smaller squares in position of each light?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I've got a plan to better mount my kessil lights and I'd like to know if it will be safe. My tank is Euro braced and my water level sits so close to the bracing that if I turn the gooseneck clamps to the Euro Bracing set up the black screws are touching the water.

I wondered if it would work if I silicone some glass along the top of the bracing and attach the gooseneck clamps to it. I've taken a pic and sketched what I mean below.

ae055d9e80d8f9763cc04d46e7938fe6.jpg

The top of the bracing to the top of the tank is 1 inch so that whole inch would be siliconed and I need 2 inches of glass to go above the lip of the tank for the gooseneck clamps to fit.

I have a couple of questions if this isn't too crazy an idea:

What thickness of glass should I use?

I want to mount 4 a160we like this, would longer strips supporting two each be better or should I do 4 smaller squares in position of each light?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Is there a reason you don't want the black screws touching the water? On my setup the screws and the bottom part of the clamp are in the water. No ill effects as of yet. You'll want to go with a little thicker glass otherwise when you tighten the screws the glass will crack. When you silicone the glass panels together, get like a wood working clamp to hold them together, otherwise you'll get gaps and air bubbles and it will look bad. Or use the kessil mounts to clamp it down right away :)

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be concerned about the weight of the light pulling on the additional glass and pulling itself down and into the water. Have you thought about attaching an extension of wood or something to the back side of your stand and having it come up behind the tank to hold the gooseneck bracket?

OP
OP
Harris3005

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason you don't want the black screws touching the water? On my setup the screws and the bottom part of the clamp are in the water. No ill effects as of yet. You'll want to go with a little thicker glass otherwise when you tighten the screws the glass will crack. When you silicone the glass panels together, get like a wood working clamp to hold them together, otherwise you'll get gaps and air bubbles and it will look bad. Or use the kessil mounts to clamp it down right away :)
Couple of reasons, i wasn't sure if there would be any I'll effects long term of having it in the water and I'd like them all to be along the back of the tank as the weir and centre brace make the spacing between the lights difficult. Purely aesthetic. For glass thickness I was thinking 10mm the same as the tank glass?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must preface this by stating that I'm not familiar with these goosenecks, and don't know what they look like. Instead of playing with glass and silicone and putting stress on the glass, why not just screw and mount an "L" bracket, made of wood, to the back wall?

OP
OP
Harris3005

Harris3005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, I really don't want any extra bits of wood and I don't really have access to the back of the tank. I was hoping to do it this way to make it look like the are just on the tank! My thinking is if silicone is holding my tank together it'll be strong enough to support these lights as they don't weigh that much?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of reasons, i wasn't sure if there would be any I'll effects long term of having it in the water and I'd like them all to be along the back of the tank as the weir and centre brace make the spacing between the lights difficult. Purely aesthetic. For glass thickness I was thinking 10mm the same as the tank glass?
That would work :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back