Will using carbon effect the bacteria growth from media reactor?

nritter69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling long hair algae for almost 2 years now. Been trying many treatments and have wound up at a media reactor and dosing with Red Sea NO3 PO4X simultaneously. Have reduced amount of white light to 20% the rest in blues, violets, 5% red/green. Using an oversized Reef Octopus Skimmer. Have a 5" sand bed w/ 4 - sand sifter stars cleaning it. And if that wasn't enough I have "slimer" the dolabella Seahare . I really expected the nitrates to bottom out by now I've been doing gigantic 50% water changes every two weeks. Using RODI NEWLY replaced filters. I feel like there is something counterproductive I must be doing I know I have a heavy load of coral and fish in a tank Overstock for sure and I know the wife overfeeds the fish but I really thought with the sheer amount filtration and skimming and chemical an bio pellets I'd b farther along. Arrgghhh. So is it possible the two big bags of carbon I have for safety sake is counterproductive to what I'm doing

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae will “feed” on both nitrate and phosphates and can also take up ammonia. Algae in general are highly adaptive and very efficient at extracting nutrients so reducing only nitrates may not be enough to stop the problem you’re having.

To lower nitrates you may need to increase your nopox dose. How long have you been dosing?

Bags of carbon won’t adversely affect bacteria, which will over time colonize it and make it less efficient. Hope that makes sense, sorry getting late...

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to lower my nutrients, lower feeding, reduce light period, employ algae eaters, and remove my deep sand bed before my algae even noticed that I was at war with it.

Welcome to R2R!

OP
OP
nritter69

nritter69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to Emdereef , I've been doing with NoPoX for about a month an a half. I've been running the bio-pellets for 2-months. I have been turning the reactor's pump off during feeding times 10-15min 3 times a day I am curious if shutting down the reactor effects the bacteria growth within tremendously or hardly not at all. After all has been said an done I will say I've reduced the growth rate by 30-40% but I really need to beat this. The long hair algae is crowding out certain corals and affecting colonies.

OP
OP
nritter69

nritter69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few pics, I know it's not terrible but I can't stand watching this algae slowly eating into my corals!!![emoji36]
3f7b48a1b73e3834e60f0e0ee22cc0a5.jpg
dba6d4b04299398d6785d922fe2303f3.jpg
f3a6a0613adf4cfe9dc4e93eb4ff93b9.jpg
f10de9a72b736fe215b63f2ac626f587.jpg

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be careful not to strip so much out of the water and end up harming your coral's nutrition. I'd suggest doing one change at a time and waiting for results. You are taking so many different routes here that if any of them work you won't even know what you did, therefore you will keep stripping the water unnecessarily.
Test your nitrates and nitrates at least three times a week with every new tactic that you employ, observe it for a while before going nuts with it. Also, an oversized refugium with good lightning on a reverse schedule can do the trick, did you try that?

Good luck!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 118 42.9%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 132 48.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 12 4.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back