Will warped stand settle flat?

TimeTwister

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a 150 gallon aquarium (5x2x2) and built the typical DIY stand based off 2x4s and 2x6s. Everything is glued and assembled with pocket screws, checked for square as assembling and built it on a flat concrete floor.

However, once the frame was all assembled the stand developed a warp diagonally. The front right and rear left corners sit flat, but the rear right and front left corners rock. If I stack some weights on those two corners the whole stand sits flat.

As long as the weight of the full tank will cause the stand to sit flat am I ok, or do I need to scrap this stand? If it matters the tank is rimless so there will be 3/4'' plywood on top with foam and it will also use 3/4'' plywood to add a face frame on the sides and front and bottom shelf and 1/4'' plywood on the back. I am just holding on adding the plywood until i decide if the frame needs to be scrapped or not.

What do you all think?

nbDlrmB.jpg

OP
OP
T

TimeTwister

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the feedback. Every other stand I have build has held up just fine, but this is my first larger tank, and my first rimless with starfire glass so I am being extra paranoid on making sure something as important as the stand will be good.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 30.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 27.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 44 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 43 20.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%

Back