Willows new reef

willow659

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EQUIPMENT:

•••••~~~•••••skimmer is Eshopps Axium X-120. Sump heater is Eheim Jager 200 watt. Display tank heater is Aqueon Pro 150 watt. Return pump is Syncra silent 3.0 (714 us gal/hr). Refugium light is mingdak submersible led aquarium light. Lights: 48 inch Orbit IC led system and Geisemann 4X54 watt ho T5. Two side power heads are eflux wave pumps 1,050 ph each. Big middle power head hydor koralia evolution 750/850, 2 cheap ancillary power heads are sun sun wavemaker jvp-110 (2000L/hr). Whisper 100 air pump with two wooden bubblers in case of power outage. 3 gfci power strips.API saltwater Master Test Kit. BRS 4 stage plus 75 gpd RODI system. 2 - Red Sea 100 micron felt fine polish filter bags. 1- 250 micron mesh filter sock. 8 in Coral viewer and flipper magnifying glass for DT, Red Sea diy screen lid. Backup kedsum submersible water pump 880gph. •••••~~~•••••

•4/27? Aquarium started. Exxodus BAC plate Bio plate loaded with entire bottle of microbacter 7, plus 50 lbs coraline shapes rock comes coated in bacteria to be activated once in saltwater. 40 lbs life rock. 80 lbs Carib Sea live sand.

•Random dumps of extra microbacter 7 and whatever else bacteria. Heavy feeding daily of omega one small marine sinking + with garlic pellets, cobalt aquatics premium with probiotics flakes, or 1-3 raw shrimp during initial cycling period to keep beneficial bacteria levels high (have new life spectrum ick shield 1mm sinking pellets for fish when they come)

•4/31 huge bacterial bloom at its height

•5/18 first water change at 50% and dumped in even extra microbacter7. REFUGIUM BEGUN. Sump Heater, bioplate moves to provide cryptic area for sponge growth, deep sand bed, refugium light, and live rock placed. Refugium light set for 6pm-6am.

•5/19 tisbe pods and barnabas the skunk cleaner shrimp

•5/20 ammonia alert badge placed to be checked twice daily along with digital thermometer in display tank for temp checks. LIGHTS NOW ON Geisemann 4x54 Watt T5 on with two blue plus, one purple plus, and one coral now set to be on 10a-4p and current LED to be on 8am ramp up till ramp down ends at 6pm with 50% weather during that time. Then 10% blue actinic low light till 2 am. Black out 2am till 8am.

•5/30 5 gal water change

•5/31 indo pacific sea farms. Display tank: 25 amphipods, 6 bristle worms, 6 spaghetti worms, live sand activator, wondermud, 7 micro brittle stars, 1 Hawaiian cowrie, 6 Nerite snails, 6 strombus snails, 6 Hawaiian littorinid grazer snails, 12 micro hermit crabs, live phyto, denitrifier, and two plates covered in coraline algae back and front to seed life rock - all from Hawaii. REFUGIUM ALL SET with 6 micro crabs, 6 bristle worms, 6 spaghetti worms, 6 Gastropod snails, *wonder mud* with tiny tiny critters, 25 amphipods, and 4 macro algae (sea lettuce, sea grapes, red tang heaven and green tang heaven) and will be separately fed small amount of flakes each day until fish arrive and then 1-3 times a week thereafter.

•6/1 5 gal water change. First of routine weekly water changes. Microbacter 7 added this time.

•6/4 Today will be considered DAY ONE since fish will be added. salinity 1.0247, ammonia 0-0.2, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 10ppm, Ph 7.8, temp adjusted because running 95.7 for last 7 days or so instead of 96.6. So 95.7 @ 11am, 1240 75.9, Filter socks removed and rocks dusted off before putting on new ones. Divers Den arrival of 2 ORA- bred black ice snowflake amphiprion ocellaris and 1 skarlet skunk cleaner shrimp from Sri Lanka (Med Lysmata amboinensis). 8- 3.5 oz frozen San Francisco Bay brand reef multipack X 4( marine cuisine, emerald entree, omega brine shrimp, and plankton) and 1 3.5 hikari frozen vitamin gut loaded spirolina brine. Mixed 2 cubes of each while frozen into small sheet to be able to feed a chunk of entire mix for evening meal. Small amount of Pellets and/or flakes will be fed each day or so in the morning. Coral RX and reef-roids ready for corals.

Wooden Micro bubblers in place and set to oxygenate and soft skim both refugium and DT in case of power outage.

6/5 Bottle of biospira poured into tank and prime and slime coat added just in case to help new arrivals from shipping. divers den order of 3 Bartlett’s Fairy Anthias and 3 Blue Reef Chromis arrived approximately 12pm All 3 anthias gasping and gulping and laying on sand or hiding against rock for 10-20 min or so after. After breathing regularly all fish ate really well and are swimming. 7pm readings: temp 75.7/77.1, pH 7.4-7.8, ammonia 0-0.02, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10. 2x Med/heavy feed since new fish came in. They do NOT like the flake food and LOVE all the frozen. 1230 am pH Hanna checker 7.38. Turned on skimmer and both bubblers. Will recheck in morn.

6/6 world wide corals coral club shipment came in. Wwc Purple tipped hammer, wwc indigo mushroom, wwc AOI zoas, wwc ultron micro, wwc neon neither leather

6/7 temp stable at 76.6, am 0, N 0, N 10, pH 7.6, salinity 1.024 (from doing all the acclamations and 2x minimum daily testing.

6/10 Emerald Bay Tonga branch like rock two pieces and one chunk live rock. 5 super red mushrooms, 3-5 neon green textured mushrooms with bubbles, pulsing Xenia (I know, but I like it), neon green green star polyps (I know, but I like it). 1 Mexican turbo snail, 2 large nass snails, and 2 or 3 hitchhiking micro brittle stars and some black jelly looking hitchhiker that’s most probably reef safe so I’m keeping the weirdo for now. Fish still eating huge amounts twice a day . No ammonia or any issues to be seen from adding all the fish. Saw a dotting of nuisance algae. It’s was kinda cute. Will prob be gone tomorrow. Sumped the micro hermits cause I keep catching them eatting all the coraline off the booster packs. I see them pinch it off and literally eat it. Never saw hermits do that before and it’s not just one of them doing it. I even sang a song while I did it... my husband was cracking up laughing

OP
OP
willow659

willow659

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
92623567-9DCB-4CE5-9245-229BF13A45BC.jpeg
Nice write up about your tank. Sounds like you're off to a great start. Have any pictures of your tank?

These were yesterday. My lights are out right now, but I’ll get some pics tomorrow to upload. Thank you :)

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Welcome to R2R where you will find lots of darling friendly people. Enjoyed reading about your new tank but I’m hoping I’m not crawling out of my skin for your first fish if your tank has ammonia (it should have zero), and 10ppm nitrate is okay if your doing softies and lps. 10ppm May be tad high for sps corals. The temp should be 78 in the tank, not 95. You will cook everything in your tank so hopefully that was a typo.

I do see later down the temp was 76 ish, much better :) but usually 86-78 is a good zone. I have lots of sps and I’m probably at 79-80. That’s with both of my twin 300 watt Eheim heaters at 72. Definitely watch the feeding for nitrate spikes, try to stay between 5-10ppm. I’d say maybe a tad soon for corals (but that’s just me, I went close to 90 days to go through all three cycles). Ammonia should always always always be zero, your fish and corals will not like that. One thing I don’t see is what your alkanity is at or calcium. Try and maintain 7-8 on alk and 440 on calcium. Doing a 50% water change maybe a tad much, maybe 20% depending on size and water parameters. You can post pics on here :) (not sure where your link goes) assuming iCloud since that’s where my phone took me (but as I have a smart iPhone it isn’t very smart :) ). Good luck and welcome love to see your reef grow:). Current lights work very well I have the next version up of the current lights. The ic loop lights are great for softies and lps and some medium sps placed high up. With you running t5 you may get away with that because the t5 mix. I use just led and my version grows sps extremely well as well as lps and softies, when my water isn’t too clean.

Look forward to seeing your tank grow :)
Sincerely
Sarah

Edit lol oh now the posted pic shows up:) looks really nice by the way
Edit2 oh good grief lol I wrote 86-78 meant to say 76-78. 86 is not good.

Last edited:
OP
OP
willow659

willow659

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! It was a typo. I’m a nurse and am always typing people temps and I keep typing a 9 instead of a 7. *facepalm*
There’s been no ammonia at all, but I’m nervous as can be. I test nitrate, nitrite, and pH 2 times a day, but I manually check ammonia 4 x’s daily and I keep an eye on the ammonia alert badge just in case. I want softies and LPS. I haven’t started skimming so that would probably bring it down further, (I broke it in when I got it). My calcium, Magnesium, and alkalinity salifert tests are supposed to be here Monday. I don’t know what’s taking shipping so long. My pH was too low for my liking the night before my divers den fish came so now I have a bubbler in the refugium on 24/7 and I keep two windows cracked to try to keep it 7.6 or higher at night. That’s when it is the lowest. I’ll point one or two power heads towards the top if it doesn’t start staying closer to 8 at the lowest soon. The temperature is driving me nuts. The coralife digital themometer reads 1.4degrees less than the ink bird digital thermometer and I don’t know which is correct. Coralife says 76.6 almost constantly and the inkbird says 78.9-78.0 almost constantly.

OP
OP
willow659

willow659

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
77.9* too many typos. Think maybe I should start heading towards bed lol

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Lol thanks for all you do as a nurse, how long have you been one? Ph should be little higher and definitely make sure you have fresh oxygen in there as well. The skimmer will take care of that once you have it on line. Make sure had your fish qt for marine ick and marine velvet before you put them in your display. You definitely do not want any diseases once your reef starts. It’s a nightmare trying to catch fish in an established reef. Also coral dip all corals, any thing wet can contaminate your tank. :)

OP
OP
willow659

willow659

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Lol thanks for all you do as a nurse, how long have you been one? Ph should be little higher and definitely make sure you have fresh oxygen in there as well. The skimmer will take care of that once you have it on line. Make sure had your fish qt for marine ick and marine velvet before you put them in your display. You definitely do not want any diseases once your reef starts. It’s a nightmare trying to catch fish in an established reef. Also coral dip all corals, any thing wet can contaminate your tank. :)
I started out as a CNA in 97 and got my EMT back in 99 and moved around a lot getting more education over time. Loved being an ob/gyn nurse and also my time working for a research laboratory for women’s health. Now I work taking care of older kids who need highly specialized one on one nursing care around the clock. I turned the skimmer on before I went to bed to help raise oxygen higher. I need to google how to run and airline outside from my skimmer.

OP
OP
willow659

willow659

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y’all are cracking me up lol. Glad to know I’m not the only one. I love watching my tank so so so much!!!

Oh... I should have specified, each and every single fish has been quarantined and treated first before being introduced to my main tank and I do dip my corals using coral RX and a visual inspection, but I do not quarantine the corals.

OP
OP
willow659

willow659

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the purple tip hammer from world wide corals. It had pieces of it’s heads in the bag when I opened it and those heads still aren’t looking good. Not sure if I should call them yet. It’s not their fault cause you never know what the other mailman (my mailman is awesome and loves coming inside to watch the progress of the tank) does in transit. It even came floating upside down on a piece of styrofoam to try to pack it well.

OP
OP
willow659

willow659

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish and Corals were a gift and required pics so I used divers den for the fish and corals from world wide corals and Emerald Bay.

OP
OP
willow659

willow659

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The anthias are now happy with just pellets and flakes after mixing them in with all the other foods since they came. Now I can feed a mix of everything with the frozen twice a day and drop in a little bit of pellets or flakes for the third meal.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

For the foods trying mixing all three together with garlic guard. Picky fish tend to eat things more and gives them more nutritious (do to the mixture of food).

Nice pics and those were an amazing gift:) it’s one that will grow on you. The hammer seems fine it will open up more, it kinda depends on light and flow.

It’s definitely fun working with kiddos, do you have your rn now as well?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back