Window Screen leeching metals into tank?

Lalaallieu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've started losing a lot of my corals lately. Mostly LPS, but nothing is looking very good. It stabilized awhile, and then more started dying. So months ago I had a fish jump out and I didn't have the ability to make a lid so I threw an extra window screen found outside. It was supposed to be temporary until the LFS got me one in. But here we are with nothing but issues and what we've come up with is metals are leeching in the tank. The issue with this is I'm getting ready to cycle rock for my 75 I'm upgrading to. Can I still chisel a bit of my old rock off to use in with the new stuff or will the metals thing, (if that's whats going on) mess things up worse. I don't want to mess up my new tank at all. Please help!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've started losing a lot of my corals lately. Mostly LPS, but nothing is looking very good. It stabilized awhile, and then more started dying. So months ago I had a fish jump out and I didn't have the ability to make a lid so I threw an extra window screen found outside. It was supposed to be temporary until the LFS got me one in. But here we are with nothing but issues and what we've come up with is metals are leeching in the tank. The issue with this is I'm getting ready to cycle rock for my 75 I'm upgrading to. Can I still chisel a bit of my old rock off to use in with the new stuff or will the metals thing, (if that's whats going on) mess things up worse. I don't want to mess up my new tank at all. Please help!
Is the screen aluminum or fiberglass? I use fiberglass all the time with no apparent issues.

Jay

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 122 43.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 135 47.9%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 12 4.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 2.8%

Back