wire organization advice needed

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I designed my tank I planned my stand with a false wall to hide my wiring.At first I mounted my apex equiptment but quickly ran out of space.I am planning to run my wiring into a closet behind my tank and mounting all of my equiptment and wires on the wall.I want this to look as organized as possible.So I am looking for mounting options for the board and wire hiding techniques(tracks,runs etc)to make this look as nice as possible.pics and links to products appreciated
IMG_1032.JPG
IMG_1033.JPG
IMG_1032.JPG
IMG_1033.JPG

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I designed my tank I planned my stand with a false wall to hide my wiring.At first I mounted my apex equiptment but quickly ran out of space.I am planning to run my wiring into a closet behind my tank and mounting all of my equiptment and wires on the wall.I want this to look as organized as possible.So I am looking for mounting options for the board and wire hiding techniques(tracks,runs etc)to make this look as nice as possible.pics and links to products appreciated
IMG_1032.JPG
IMG_1033.JPG
IMG_1032.JPG
IMG_1033.JPG
I'm a big fan of this stuff. Makes for a clean looking install.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00066HOP...t=&hvlocphy=9012649&hvtargid=pla-318494366573

Here is how it looks under my tank. Just pick the size or sizes that work best for you.

IMG_0526.JPG

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holly Wire Web Batman!!

Sorry now that that is out of my system why don't you use ratchet clamps within the sump area to tuck everything away butb still be removable and then command cable bundlers for the bulk inside the closet (or on the wall between to only pull the plug into the closet, if you habe the space of course)?

Clamp
Screenshot_20171010-103538.png

Bundler
Screenshot_20171010-103456.jpg

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a label maker then put a label on the cable near the plug and one in the outlet if to make everything easier to identify

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sbash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key to nice, clean cable management (with, or without conduit) is to ensure you have a path for the wires. Typically, this path would be around the outside edge, and branching out in a controlled fashion (as you see in Brew's picture).

Now, this involves a bit of planning, because you need to make sure the cable will be long enough for the path.

Another importation point, is to ensure all hardware is mounted, or at least in a fixed location, keeping in mind the above statements.

It does not really matter what you use to contain the wires in their path, (working in IT and a hobbyist) I have used both of the solutions, as well as zip ties, velcro, fancy staple-gun staples, pipes, electrical tape, pipe clamps, electrical staples, maybe more, lol...

Personally, I like to see the cables in a nice path, I prefer to not cover them up with conduit, so I usually use re-usable zip ties. Fancy ones that I can screw in place, or something like George's first picture.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main issue with wiring an aquarium is that all of the components need to be removed in no particular order. And the fact that each component has a fixed length cord. Now if we cut the cords and wired to terminal strips, that would allow some clean wiring.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 127 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.4%
Back