Wiring computer fans to take DC current...

kyle1284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be puting a couple of holes in my canopy to install 4 120mm computer fans. i figured out how to wire up one fan to a 12V source. is there anyway to wire up 2 fans to one 12V source and still have the same fan speed as a single fan being hooked up to that 12V source? if not is there a certian way to do so?

thanks in advance

fragmatic

retired reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wire two 12VDC fans in series using a 12VDC power supply they will each run at "sort of" half speed. If you wire them both in parallel they will both run at full speed. This is IF the power supply can handle them.

This is because if you wire them in series you have divided the 12 volts between them, and each will run on 6 volts.

For those tagging along, don't try this with AC.

Last edited:

Greg@LionfishLair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Bluewater. If you have a 12V power supply, wire them in parallel. This way, each fan will see 12V, however the current will be divided between the two fans, so if your fans are rated at 12V, 100 mA (just tossing numbers out there for reference), and your power supply is 700 mA, you could conceivably run seven fans off that power supply if you wire them in parallel.

However, if you wire them in series, the fans will each drop half the voltage, but will see the same amount of current (in this case 700 mA). In this configuration, the fans will each run at half speed.

HTH

OP
OP
kyle1284

kyle1284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you wire two 12VDC fans in series using a 12VDC power supply they will each run at "sort of" half speed. If you wire them both in parallel they will both run at full speed. This is IF the power supply can handle them.

This is because if you wire them in series you have divided the 12 volts between them, and each will run on 6 volts.

what do you mean by "if the power supply can handle them"? thanks for the reply BTW

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the required current of each fan is say 700ma you will need a power supply that can provide at least 1400ma.

OP
OP
kyle1284

kyle1284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i learned something new today! thanks!!

OP
OP
kyle1284

kyle1284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
makes even more sense!! thanks!

I agree with Bluewater. If you have a 12V power supply, wire them in parallel. This way, each fan will see 12V, however the current will be divided between the two fans, so if your fans are rated at 12V, 100 mA (just tossing numbers out there for reference), and your power supply is 700 mA, you could conceivably run seven fans off that power supply if you wire them in parallel.

However, if you wire them in series, the fans will each drop half the voltage, but will see the same amount of current (in this case 700 mA). In this configuration, the fans will each run at half speed.

HTH

OP
OP
kyle1284

kyle1284

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HTH

i am starting to understand how electricity works and is calculated but i have another question after reading your post... would it be a issue if, in your example, you only ran 2 100mA fans on a 700mA power supply in parallel? would it over drive them?

Decalf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it will be fine. The loads draw what they need. Everything should be fine as long as your not suppling to little amps or not the right voltage.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back