Wooden Stand Help!

jgarza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not the best carpenter by far. I decided to build my own stand for my 220 reef build and well it didn't turn out the best. I don't own any equipment to cut the wood so I basically bought the 2x4s at Lowe's and had them cut to all my specifications. I brought the wood home and started assembling the stand. I didn't realize it until it was being put together that some of the wood wasn't cut right. Some were too short. There are some small gaps on some areas. Should I shim the small gaps? Or would it be safe to put the tank on? The 1st picture is one of the middle post and the second is on the corner closer to the camera. Thanks for the help!

Gap1.jpg

Gap2.jpg

full stand.jpg

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shim it. It's easier to do it now. Use some wood glue to put them in. I'd also put some more screws in the corner legs.

d5332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replace the pieces that were not cut correctly.

Go get some new one's cut or buy the 2x4's and an inexpensive circular saw.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely shim those gaps. These type stands are so overly built, with the shimming you'll be just fine.

OP
OP
jgarza

jgarza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok awesome thanks for the input guys. I'm just gonna go ahead and replace them completely.

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would replace the pieces completely. 220 gallons of water by itself weights about 1850 pounds. that is a whole lot of weight to gamble with. I wouldn't want to take any risks myself over a couple dollars in wood. Better make sure your floor is supported properly as well if you haven't already :) good luck!

OP
OP
jgarza

jgarza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kevan how would I go about making sure my floor can properly support it? It's in the living room on the first floor with no basement.

SmokeBellew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kevan how would I go about making sure my floor can properly support it? It's in the living room on the first floor with no basement.

There was a thread I read earlier where a home builder or structural engineer gave some guidelines...I will see if I can search for it and give a link.

From what I remember he suggested trying to place larger aquariums against load bearing walls and then perpendicular across multiple floor joists. And even then additional supports may be needed. He also discussed the difference between supporting weight for a short period of time vs a large continual load.

If it was me, I would only feel comfortable, with your size aquarium, after having someone with structural knowledge come and inspect the support before putting that amount of weight on anything other than a slab. (But of course I tend to be very risk adverse and sometimes overdo things. I even contacted my builder about my 65 gallon since I had a basement underneath...but we go to church together so it was not a huge deal)

Good luck and I will see if remember or can find the thread.

ETA: The thread I was referring to is a stickied thread here in the DIY section. "Do I Need Floor Supporting"

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back