OP
OP
David M.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, y'all are awesome. For my purposes right now, it seems like I can get away with a circular saw, reciprocal saw, and pocket jig. Theres even a little 4" table saw for 40 bucks at harbor freight, not sure if that would be worth anything. I'd really just use it to cut thin and long pieces to skin the stand, but again I could make due with a circular saw for the time being.

@dbl Your post made perfect sense, and really cleared it up for me. Thanks!

@TaylorPilot I really do enjoy building things, and have been doing it with very limited tools. So I think it's time to step it up, but slowly. Like you said it looks like this is going to be another expensive hobby (reef keeping still far ahead), but I think I can start out for a very decent cost.

@erk Eventually I'd like to go big and get a nice drill press, table saw, miter, the works. But for now I think I'll stick to simple/cheap tools to get me started. I don't even know what a butt joint is yet. But I'm pretty sure I want to make it. Sounds like fun.

NHreefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say this: Don't get cocky when working with table saws (any other saw as well) and always have your eye on the blade, I know many a fine craftsmen that have lost fingers or parts of by slipping for a second. Always respect your tools.
+1 on that one for sure! 100% attention all the time!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say this: Don't get cocky when working with table saws (any other saw as well) and always have your eye on the blade, I know many a fine craftsmen that have lost fingers or parts of by slipping for a second. Always respect your tools.

Holy cow...I'm embarrassed that I didn't mention safety at all. Absolutely dead on. Eye and ear protection and never an eye away from a moving blade.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Or you could get one of these and do wood work drunk. It might not be straight, but you wouldn't loose a finger....lol

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, y'all are awesome. For my purposes right now, it seems like I can get away with a circular saw, reciprocal saw, and pocket jig. Theres even a little 4" table saw for 40 bucks at harbor freight, not sure if that would be worth anything. I'd really just use it to cut thin and long pieces to skin the stand, but again I could make due with a circular saw for the time being.

@dbl Your post made perfect sense, and really cleared it up for me. Thanks!

@TaylorPilot I really do enjoy building things, and have been doing it with very limited tools. So I think it's time to step it up, but slowly. Like you said it looks like this is going to be another expensive hobby (reef keeping still far ahead), but I think I can start out for a very decent cost.

@erk Eventually I'd like to go big and get a nice drill press, table saw, miter, the works. But for now I think I'll stick to simple/cheap tools to get me started. I don't even know what a butt joint is yet. But I'm pretty sure I want to make it. Sounds like fun.

A butt joint is what you typically see in most DIY stands. It is where you simply butt the end of the wood against another piece and screw or glue them together. It is probably the most unpleasant looking joint IMO. I prefer half lap and mortise/tenon joints. This is where the pieces of wood physically intersect one another. Here is a link to the many types of joints that are used. There are far more that get way more complicated. Japanese carpenters have some of the most unique and elegant wood joinery in the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodworking_joints

Don't let a table saw scare you. I have a cheap $100 table saw. I keep it clean and well maintained and it works well. Respect your tools and you will be okay. Always use push sticks and when in doubt, go the safe route. I recommend leaving the guard on the table saw unless you use a sled or jig. If you use a jig, then use a clamp or something else to hold the piece, NOT YOUR HAND. Too many people get lazy and think nothing will happen, it's a quick cut. When you don't take precautions is when you have a mistake. Make sure to lower the blade back into the table after you are done using the table saw. A big one that people tend to forget is that a dull tool is a dangerous tool. Keep your tools sharp and they will work flawlessly and safely. If you try to use a dull chisel or saw, that is when mistakes happen and you can hurt yourself. Best way to know if your tools are dull is if you have to apply excess force. Stop and sharpen. Thankfully I have never had an accident with a power tool. I take a lot of precautions when using power tools. Hand tools are a different story. More than a couple of my projects have a bit of me in them is all I can say. :D

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Some how you guys have combined two of my top hobbies! Woodworking AND reef tanks! I am also about safety with the tools but let's not forget our lungs! Wear a face mask! Also, if you should decide to buy a table saw, I too just did a month of research and the Dewalt table saw with the rack and pinion fence is amazing! I ended up prchasing one and it is fantastic! 2dmini..nice miter saw/table saw set up!

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your tools sharp and they will work flawlessly and safely. If you try to use a dull chisel or saw, that is when mistakes happen and you can hurt yourself. :D

This is a very good point. Quality blades are important. It's amazing how much better the higher tooth count quality blades work.

The Diablo blades at home depot are good quality at a decent price. I say decent price because you can spend a really nice car payment on a single blade if you want to. But those are for people who do this for a living, use them several hours everyday, and have them professionally sharpened.

OP
OP
David M.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've done lots of asking around, including talking to multiple carpenters in my local reef club and at my work. And I've decided on a miter saw, and circular saw to start. Next will be table saw, router, pocket hole jig, etc... My question: Im looking at this miter saw, will 10in be enough? And this circular saw. Harbor freight cause, honestly, its cheaper. I wish I could afford dewalt everything, but not today.
http://www.harborfreight.com/10-in-sliding-compound-miter-saw-with-laser-guide-system-61971.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/7-14-i...rcular-saw-with-laser-guide-system-69078.html

NHreefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's all on preference really, the more you do the more you'll realize What you want/need. 10 inch is a standard blade and should be perfect.

OP
OP
David M.

David M.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just talked to another guy, he said a miter saw is good but definitely not needed to start out. He's been doing wood working all his life and rarely uses a miter. He said a circular saw with a home made fence is just as effective, if not more. Opinions on that?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite woodworking tools especially if you are building furniture. I am practically giving this one away because I have two of them

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back