Worm ID, please!?

csreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I've been tracking a monster worm in my tank ever since I acquired the tank over a year ago. It's nocturnal, very fast, & I would see it everywhere in my 200 gal tank (i.e.: didn't seem to have a specific tunnel/hidey- hole). It looked & moved like an iridescent centipede - segmented with legs, 2 bright reflective eyes, no prominent mouthparts. I have, at last, captured the beast... Only to discover a second one! Ewwwww. Anyway, caught that one too. These are pictures of the smaller one, who measures somewhere around 18" to 2 feet when hanging from my forceps. Interestingly, they bleed red. I still can't see mouthparts - very small head. Creepy, creepy things. Can anyone tell me what they are??

OP
OP
csreed

csreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still trying to load pics...

image.jpeg

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's two worms that can look pretty similar, it's the Lysarete genus and the Oenone. I'm leaning towards it being a Lysarete, as I thought the Oenone had obvious eyespots, but I can't be sure on that. Time to research!

OP
OP
csreed

csreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yaaaaa! I don't even want to THINK of those things crawling out!! Fortunately, it was just in that shallow dish long enough for some ID photos & then it took the big, swirly swim. So far I'm not turning up much info beyond taxonomy. Do you have a good reference to point me to? Scavenger? Venomous? My next post will be "Pictorial guide to why I will ALWAYS wear gloves when working in my tank!"

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You threw it out already!! I am soo sad.

They are predators on snails and I believe clams. They needed to come out for sure.

OP
OP
csreed

csreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely you may take the photos. I've been stalking it & trying to identify it for over a year. Even took all of my rock work apart once before, hunting for it without success. (Which is how I caught them both this time.). I kept it for a number of hours in case anyone wanted different photos, but sadly you & I did not connect until I'd gotten rid of it. (After a certain point it was just too creepy to have lurking in a bucket in my living room.) I felt a little guilty killing the first one, but after the "horror" of finding a second one I didn't feel so bad I'm hoping there aren't any more in the tank, & would like to know something about their reproduction.

I've been blaming my hermits all this time for the complete annihilation of all of my snails... Really glad I didn't spring for a clam, yet. I was waiting until I was sure the tank was properly adjusted before doing so - wouldn't that have been sad!

OP
OP
csreed

csreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, although you couldn't see them when it was out of the water, in my tank at night it had very distinct green "eyes." As I said, it was lightning fast so never got a good look at the head - just an eye flash & gone.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elysia tend to disappear over time, so it's hard to say with that one. There's a read I normally point to out there, but I kind of think I found an inconsistency in it, so I want to have it clarified before I post it.

The presence of notable eyes might sway my vote.

It sucks you had it and I'm glad you got it out, but that's so cool.

OP
OP
csreed

csreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info so far!

I'm sad about the Elysia. I read up before I got them & I have lots & lots of live rock for them to munch algae on, but I've lost 2 Guess I read the wrong stuff. I've even tried adding seaweed strips for them to make sure they're fat & happy, but my last one is looking thinner. If I can't blame it on the killer worms, I won't be replacing the Elysia (although they were soooo cool...)

I sure do appreciate the voice of experience & knowledge!

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, you mean the E. crispata! I jumped right to the hitchhiker varieties. The lettuce nudis definitely have a better outcome with the right food and environment. When they get back to me, I'll ask if there was any chance the worm killed it.

OP
OP
csreed

csreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Argh!! It's night time, & I just spotted two more of these miserable things!! Any advice on their habits to help me catch & kill them would be much appreciated. It's been a 2-day marathon of taking the rock work apart & putting it back together again. Finally got the last coral re-glued... How long do these things live, anyway? Can I starve them out?

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 60 46.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 14.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 7 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back