Worried

Kat Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, question…

I have a Halloween hermit crab and he was so active (acting like a lawnmower, cleaning really great) and then I got a blue leg crab, and now he doesn’t move at all. I know he’s OK because I keep moving him around just to see and he’s alive. What do you think, is it the blue legged hermit crab? Can they coexist? I’ve seen things all over the place on the Internet so I cannot figure out what to do.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Halloweens and blue legs CAN co-exist but any hermit can attack any other hermit, or a snail. They like to house hunt and they are not overly particular about whether or not the shell is already in use. They are notional and cantankerous at times and mellow at others. As for moving him around, I personally would just leave him be. He's probably fine but they sometimes just 'pause' for a while, probably contemplating the meaning of the universe.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

OP
OP
Kat Fish

Kat Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which crab is the largest? Might be getting harassed for the shell.
I think the blue, but they are very close in size, they both switched shells right after I put them in the tank. But the blue chose a large shell, it’s kinda funny. I do have extra shells for their choosing just in case.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the blue, but they are very close in size, they both switched shells right after I put them in the tank. But the blue chose a large shell, it’s kinda funny. I do have extra shells for their choosing just in case.
That helps as long as they're also prettier...

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, question…

I have a Halloween hermit crab and he was so active (acting like a lawnmower, cleaning really great) and then I got a blue leg crab, and now he doesn’t move at all. I know he’s OK because I keep moving him around just to see and he’s alive. What do you think, is it the blue legged hermit crab? Can they coexist? I’ve seen things all over the place on the Internet so I cannot figure out what to do.

Welcome! Glad you joined. Fingers crossed for your crab(s) - already good info an I defer to others that know more about crabs than me.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you, if Powell is in USA:

This might help you find people local to you, if Powell is outside USA:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back