Would 1/4 RODI airline be enough for outside air?

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realized bigger is better for an intake to draw in outside air to raise ph. Now I was in my Yard and notice a tiny gap along side the natural gas line for the fireplace.

I painfully snakes through some 1/4" RODI line into the fireplace (behind the gas insert)

Now before I get all Crazy and drill a hole
On the opposite site to fish it to the tank. Will about 15-18'RODI line connected to one ofThe silencer ports on the skimmer intake provide enough of a ph boost to justify the efforts (and making a hole in the side of the fireplace?

Another thought would be adding an airpump behind the fireplace (there is a plug) to force air into the skimmer! Do you guys think this is worth the effort? And if so is there any air pumps with an air Inlet?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Tom Aaqualifter, but not sure that'd work like you think. Can you fit 3/8" tubing instead?

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubtful without drilling it bigger. (Which seems sketch as it's poked along a natural gas line) It took me about 30 min just to get the 1/4" line though

Would the aiqalifter provide more "flow" then the skimmer sucking in? I do have one kicking around but they are generally l fairly week.at least it was with water I wonder how hard it would be to put a push fittting on a fusion pump .. hmm

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think BRS had a video on this and they recommended runs no longer than 8' to 10' if memory serves me.

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's prob true. I'm guessing I'm closer to 15'. I can prob find a way to tank an extra foot or two off the line if need be but so far so good. I'm curious to see how it goes over the next few days :)

OP
OP
shiftline

shiftline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm happy to report that so far my PH is higher today then then it has been over the past week (according to apex) so I think it's doing the trick! I think o just found tomorrow's livestream topic ! Hehe woo. I'm curious to see how low/high it gets overnight

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 1/2" line for my outside airline that is running ~12 feet. I also have 2 air filters on the air line. The first air filter is outside with some filter floss to prevent bugs or large debris from entering the airline. The second air filter is a length of PVC with filter floss on each end and carbon in the middle to soak up any impurities in the air before it is injected into the skimmer. I have noticed my pH has increased since I have started using the outside air line. If you want any pictures let me know otherwise the youtube video I released last Sunday talks about my skimmer air filter setup.

Reef Able

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly based on my experience 1/4" won't be enough...When I moved my sump downstairs in basement my pH dropped to 7.6 however upon testing the probe was broken. I bought a new probe and pH showed 7.95 I left it at tht as the tank is thriving without issues plus I bought a portable pH probe to test pH in my display upstairs and it showed 8.10 so tht was good to know..If your corals are doing well I wouldn't worry what's your pH at right now?

SciGuy2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever try breathing though a 1/4" tube? There's an awful lot of resistance.

BigBearMD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little bit of a old post but how’s the airline working out for you?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back