Would My Idea Work?

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey again guys, been a while since I did some modifying on my system so its about time right?
So I'm in the thought process of how to setup my 12x12x24 (HxWxL) frag tank, I'm looking for the simplest way of plumbing it.
What I'm thinking of doing is using one of my drain lines to feed the frag tank then the frag tank will in turn overflow back into the sump.
My drain lines are sort of a modified bean with just 2 drains, a full siphon which I'm thinking will be too much flow (approx. 400gph) and a free flow for the excess which doesn't have that much flow but does act as a siphon on startup until the full siphon line kicks in properly.
I could always pop a small power head in there to create more flow if needed.
What are your thoughts? Feasible or too many possible issues?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a standard 15 gallon tank, right? Are you going to drill it for a drain? I like doing nothing to the tank and spending a little cash instead. ;)

Make it stand-alone and just put in a little Tunze Comline® Reefpack 100 ($162) system at most. It's got space in the filter module to hide your heater. :)
csm_0100.000_ed5ecf85cc.jpg

Maybe even just the Comline® DOC Skimmer 9001 ($116) piece of the Reefpack if you don't think you need the media reactor/filter module.
csm_9001.000_0310a4251e.jpg

OP
OP
Squadir

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I was going to drill it.
These look interesting, I'll look into them and weight the options, thanks

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's just a frag tank I would connect it to the main display. Far cheaper and very little extra maintenance. The plus to running it as a seperate system is a little insurance against an event in the DT, and it can act as a QT tank for incoming livestock. How much extra free time do you have?

OP
OP
Squadir

Squadir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
free time is hard to come by these days lol.
a qt tank is something I've wanted for some time though.
may just go with connecting to the main display to avoid having to get all new equipment, ato, etc.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 190 73.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.6%
Back