Would sponge filters make my protein skimmer overflow?

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still in the process of cycling my tank so the skimmer isn't really skimming anything. I have it set so the bubbles get right up to the top, but generally don't make it into the cup. Here and there some will overflow, but not much. However a few days ago it began continuously pouring into the cup. Luckily, I've had the plug out of the bottom (just in case something like this would happen) so it's just been draining right back into the sump.
The only thing I can think of that changed is that a day or two earlier I tossed three sponge filters in the sump to get them ready for QTs. I rinsed them in RODI before I put them in, but I'm guessing something is still leaching off of them and causing the protein skimmer to overflow.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you suspect (something on the sponges) seems reasonable enough. I have the same problem when I put in new filter socks.

OP
OP
J

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I figured. Since there's no fish in here yet, there's nothing really to hurt so I've been ignoring it for a few days to see if it goes down on it's own. Otherwise, I'll probably let the skimmer run into a bucket and top off with fresh salt water. I figure if whatever is causing this is actually getting skimmed, I'll be removing it. If it's not getting skimmed (beyond just being mixed into the water), replacing a bit of the old water with new water might help move the cycle along.

Even Further

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a filter pad on a tray instead of socks, and replace the filter media weekly or little longer. I have to soak the new filter pad in RODI for about an hour and rinse. If I don't, the skimmer will overflow. Even when I do rinse well, the skimmer might overflow slightly, only just 30 seconds or so.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 185 73.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back