Would these things indicate a goner? Haddoni carpet

c6z06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haddoni carpet, apparently established and recently removed from aquarium (according to seller it was removed only a few hours (6 at most) before I saw it

- bubbler foaming thickly like a skimmer would on the surface of the bucket
- misenterial filaments showing from mouth
- pieces of white tissue coming out of mouth (saw it happen and the rest were floating around)
- water had that sweet scent
- the only thing the anemone had/has going for it was the foot was attached (not very strongly, but partially at the very least)

From all of my experience and research this would indicate a most likely dying anemone. The owner put forward this is normal and their other one did the same. I wanted to get it and try to save it, but what I felt were the risks combined with a pretty high price was too much of a gamble.

Would you buy a carpet at full price after seeing what was on the bullet points above? My theory is the removal from the system damaged the anemone internally or stressed him out to the point of this.

I advised the person to at least do a water change (they didn't really seem to care whether it died or not) and according to them it looked better today but i haven't seen it so who knows

Last edited:

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture would be helpful.

Just going on my own experiences....

I have moved S. haddonis that had been established for years, and fully healthy and settled. After finally getting them removed (( with no damage to the oral disc and foot )) they did look like death. Within a day (( moved to another, existing, tank of mine )) they looked like nothing had happened. So they can go through drastic appearance changes.

Now, I was doing this myself, and knew exactly how it had been kept, removed, etc. The questions are;
Did you see the anemone prior?
Do you trust this person?
How does his/her tank look? How about the other inhabitants?
Do you have experience with S. haddoni?

OP
OP
C

c6z06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have moved tons of haddoni myself and quite a bit of experience with them.

I'm not sure how much I trust the person (never met them before), and the way it looked in the bucket did not seem like a recently moved healthy haddoni myself. It looked like one on its way out.

You're haddoni have dislodged chunks of internal white tissue when moved and went back to normal no problem? This is something I have only seen in dying anemone

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 133 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back