Would this stand work for my Rubbermaid tank?

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how this stand looks. I'm making a stand for my frag tank and curious if this would work considering there is no plywood support under the stand. Are these structural foam tanks strong enough for this? My tank is the same as the pic... 50 gallon.

IMG_0360.JPG

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd put something under them for a little support, I've seen it where they kinda bow inwards from the weight of the water and it make me nervous just looking at it.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also would appear that the screws /nails are carrying the weight of the tank (The top frame.) You never want this. You want the weight transfer to be directly to wood supports. This picture shows what I'm talking about....note the purple boards. And I too would want to support the bottom (have it resting on a flat surface).

Stand.jpg

OP
OP
Velcro

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also would appear that the screws /nails are carrying the weight of the tank (The top frame.) You never want this. You want the weight transfer to be directly to wood supports. This picture shows what I'm talking about....note the purple boards. And I too would want to support the bottom (have it resting on a flat surface).

Stand.jpg
I noticed that as well and would likely change that, but realistically this is 50 gallons spread over 52"x31" so the screws should have plenty of sheer strength for that.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back