Would you buy HEI optic Lenses for your Gen1-3 Lights?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Would you Buy HEI optic lenses for your Gen1-3 lights if they made them?

• Yes

Votes: 117 94.4%
  • No

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an understandable desire. The lack of upgradability includes the lenses themselves, but not simply because of the LED configuration. Per an EcoTech Marine employee, there are technical limitations to the tolerances in the fixtures prior to the G4 that prevent them from realizing the benefits of an HEI lens.

Absolutely understandable, but G3 owners have a right to be upset. Ecotech should've stopped saying the G3 was upgradable on their website the moment they realised it wouldn't be.

ReeferRoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if I remember right the upgrade kits did not roll out with the new gens. They came after, so who knows what the future will hold.

Hopefully this statement is how Ecotech handles the situation and is able to offer HEI lenses in the future for the G3 pro models. At least then they would be holding true to their product advertisement to some degree, and i have no doubt, after watching this thread, that current G3 owners would buy HEI lenses if made available.

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully this statement is how Ecotech handles the situation and is able to offer HEI lenses in the future for the G3 pro models. At least then they would be holding true to their product advertisement to some degree, and i have no doubt, after watching this thread, that current G3 owners would buy HEI lenses if made available.

There won't be any upgrade kits. Ecotech have already said there will be no upgrade. Maybe they'll bring out the lenses, but I highly doubt it.

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a firm believer in wide angle lenses but this would be even better to help prevent shading. Though I don't think it warrants a purchase to replace my gen 3's. I would have done the upgrade though, for sure.

To those arguing about if people thought the gen3 was upgradeable or not, that's one reason I bought them. They've made gen1 and gen2 upgradable so I thought it was going to continue. Not really an assumption as I saw "upgradable" as a general feature to radions. Pretty bummed they pulled an Apple.

Last edited:

serenade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely would buy them, just received as a surprise first wedding anniversary gift a radion xr30w gen 3 pro, haven't even opened it yet. Husband isn't fish savy so didn't know about the g4.
However I did email the company and was told that they absolutely would continue to support earlier g1 g2 and g3, models not discontinue in 24 months as everyone seems to think.
Where did that information originally come from?

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand coming up with a new technology that makes older technology no longer compatible, but if you advertise that it would be, then they should offer a buy back solution/trade-in program. I still think they are a great company with great products. It's a hard position to be in....

griff500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely would buy them, just received as a surprise first wedding anniversary gift a radion xr30w gen 3 pro, haven't even opened it yet. Husband isn't fish savy so didn't know about the g4.
However I did email the company and was told that they absolutely would continue to support earlier g1 g2 and g3, models not discontinue in 24 months as everyone seems to think.
Where did that information originally come from?

I believe Ecotech have said they will continue supporting them for 2 years, by which I presume they mean technical support and warranty.

Are you not able to return them?

ReeferRoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The info on the 24 months was in their FAQ that was included with the G4 release info.

Sharvey103

ReefAddicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Voted and yes I would. Just got 4 Gen 3's for a 300DD build and do not want to have to replace them for several years.

serenade

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Ecotech have said they will continue supporting them for 2 years, by which I presume they mean technical support and warranty.

Are you not able to return them?
Unfortunately no, however I lucked into the ability to get the g4 pro for only a little more than what we paid for my g3 pro. Actually found the ability to get all new upgraded equipment with extra to spare.

ReeferRoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The CSM should have at least acknowledged thats what was in their release info.

From their product info, check the last page of their FAQ, they say "for a minimum of 24 months after the production change to G4". Pretty sure that change is referring to the release, Aug 2016. Maybe they could clarify that...now for my supporting references.

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/EcoTech-Marine-Radion-G4-Full-Release-Information%21-BRAND-NEW.261295/

The same info, i am pretty sure was posted on their website at the time of release, but it isn't there now.
Subsequently the identical language was given to reefcentral through a post similar to the one above by marine depot. If you key in the right search you will find it. Its still there.
And the FAQ is still posted on premium aquatics website.
I have photos of both but not sure of the rules on posting that kind of stuff.

It is very curious as to why a CSM would say that it "simply isn't accurate" when a FAQ was distributed to everyone addressing that specific question, granted not firmly, but enough that at least made some of us bring it up as a point of concern.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZJedi945

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I really hope these come out! It looks like people want them so it would be silly not to bring them out. I mean look at all the money they could make :p
giphy.gif

clownsrcool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt they would release an optic upgrade for G3 lights to have the HEIs right now because they don't want to take away from their G4 launch sales. I would guess that when the G4 sales slow substantially they will release something like that for the G3s to generate a lot of extra revenue.

As suspected just about everyone would want them and most likely anyone that had G3s already and were given the option to replace fixture or just the Optics would choose optics. Ecotech knows that and prob wants to get as much as they can from the early adopters and people thinking the optics will never be offered for other models and are set on having that feature first.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back