Would you find this custom tank acceptable?

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I ordered a custom aquarium and I don't want to mention the vendors name yet to make sure I am not giving them bad publicity. I could just be overreacting, but I could really use your opinions to help me out here. The tank is 72x30x30 and I went to go see it today and thought that some of the silicone work was a bit sloppy. While I can live with sloppy silicone, I am concerned about potential integrity of the tank. Due to the size of the tank, integrity is one of the most important aspects to me.

On the back left bottom area of the tank, I noticed the trim is not flush with the back panel and the silicone that is filled there is fairly sloppy. I don't have experience with tank building, so I ask if anyone thinks if this is poorly built in terms of structural integrity:

backleft1A.jpg

Here is an example of the trim at the front right bottom area of the tank. Once again some sloppy silicone work and some scratches on the trim, but I don't think this is too bad. What do you think?

frontright1A.jpg

Here is a picture of the armored seam on the front left, you can see that their is missing silicone between the armored seam and the left panel. Will this cause me issues in the future?

armoredseamleft1A.jpg

Thanks ahead for your feedback.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, so I ordered a custom aquarium and I don't want to mention the vendors name yet to make sure I am not giving them bad publicity. I could just be overreacting, but I could really use your opinions to help me out here. The tank is 72x30x30 and I went to go see it today and thought that some of the silicone work was a bit sloppy. While I can live with sloppy silicone, I am concerned about potential integrity of the tank. Due to the size of the tank, integrity is one of the most important aspects to me.

On the back left bottom area of the tank, I noticed the trim is not flush with the back panel and the silicone that is filled there is fairly sloppy. I don't have experience with tank building, so I ask if anyone thinks if this is poorly built in terms of structural integrity:

backleft1A.jpg

Here is an example of the trim at the front right bottom area of the tank. Once again some sloppy silicone work and some scratches on the trim, but I don't think this is too bad. What do you think?

frontright1A.jpg

Here is a picture of the armored seam on the front left, you can see that their is missing silicone between the armored seam and the left panel. Will this cause me issues in the future?

armoredseamleft1A.jpg

My opinion is this is unacceptable for a custom tank that I’m sure cost you a good buck.
Hard to say on integrity but you shouldn’t have to think twice about it. Also that is really poor workmanship. My 5 year old would do a neater job. No pride in what they do. Shame.

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t look safe to me. The armored seam has air between panels? I would not accept that for a brand new tank. I would reach out to the maker with those photos- if it’s a “name brand” or expensive product- it should have never left there facility like that. It doesn’t look cheap- I wouldn’t pay for that as a new tank.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

backleft1A.jpg

frontright1A.jpg

armoredseamleft1A.jpg

There’s no way I’d settle for that quality on a custom tank. Especially with how much custom tanks cost

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is craftmanship and quality control?? Seriusly, someone would ship this and consider it a sale to promote word of mouth ?

1605133595236.png
1605133606933.png

George81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is my opinion as a tradesperson.... I would be very concerned about anything that builder sends out, anyone who cares even a bit or has any sort of pride in their work or business wouldn’t release something like that to paying customers. I take pride in making sure things look great even when I’m doing freebies for friends and family.
the quality of that says to me, the builder has unskilled workers that they Pay next to nothing and can’t retain anyone who knows what they are doing....
I know it sounds harsh and I’m making a whole lot of assumptions but I’ve been around long enough to Know that I’m most likely right...
sorry for your troubles. I totally wouldn’t let that slide.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all of the above. No way would that tank step foot in my house.
Giving the benefit of the doubt.. does this vendor have a good reputation? Have others on R2R used them before... to what outcome? Does your LFS use them regularly? If so, will they advocate on your behalf.
I am a firm believer in treating others with respect and giving them the opportunity to remedy the error. You don't put out tinders by going straight to the nuclear option.
I wish you the best... let us know how this plays out.

OP
OP
Leyth

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching to see how this one plays out. If the builder is easy to work with and makes it right it’ll be a good outcome.
Good luck OP. Is the tank still at their shop or have you taken delivery? If still at the shop don’t take delivery.
Thanks, yes it’s still at the LFS.

OP
OP
Leyth

Leyth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all of the above. No way would that tank step foot in my house.
Giving the benefit of the doubt.. does this vendor have a good reputation? Have others on R2R used them before... to what outcome? Does your LFS use them regularly? If so, will they advocate on your behalf.
I am a firm believer in treating others with respect and giving them the opportunity to remedy the error. You don't put out tinders by going straight to the nuclear option.
I wish you the best... let us know how this plays out.

Yes it is a very reputable builder and there are many tanks on this sub forum built by them. The LFS uses them too. That’s why I was surprised, but also why I didn’t want to mention their name. I’ve seen incredible work from them and I’m hoping this is just a one off. I needed to post this here to get your opinions because you guys know better than me I don’t want to be a difficult customer if there was nothing to be unhappy about. Hopefully I went about this the right way.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is a very reputable builder and there are many tanks on this sub forum built by them. The LFS uses them too. That’s why I was surprised, but also why I didn’t want to mention their name. I’ve seen incredible work from them and I’m hoping this is just a one off. I needed to post this here to get your opinions because you guys know better than me I don’t want to be a difficult customer if there was nothing to be unhappy about. Hopefully I went about this the right way.
It’s all good to vent. Just don’t mention their name publicly until they have a chance to fix it. My opinion anyway.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 53 31.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back