Would you get this magnifica?

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Local fish store has these anemones and they used to be huge as far as I know. They look quite deflated now and one is a bit green around the oral disk. The employee stated that they inflate and deflate all the time, which according to amoo it's not a good sign. If say their mouths look loose. Recoverable? I hate to see them kill any more nems. But I also have a 40b with 6 fish (2 clowns) would this be a terrible idea? I can QT.
8ee00addac02ea3d25fc967b043fc58e.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a nem expert, so I can't say if these can safely be rehabilitated or not?
I'd feel save getting the coral banded shrimp or that pineapple ornament, but I agree the nems look pretty beat.
Someone else who is more familiar with these creatures needs to chime in!

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi,

Local fish store has these anemones and they used to be huge as far as I know. They look quite deflated now and one is a bit green around the oral disk. The employee stated that they inflate and deflate all the time, which according to amoo it's not a good sign. If say their mouths look loose. Recoverable? I hate to see them kill any more nems. But I also have a 40b with 6 fish (2 clowns) would this be a terrible idea? I can QT.
8ee00addac02ea3d25fc967b043fc58e.jpg
I think that it looks alright. The mouth gaping (and deflation) isn't always a sign of something wrong, sometimes the anemones are so big, the mouth just happens to look that way! It is indeed bleached, will take a bit to get it back on track. Otherwise If it's a good price, I would take it.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you aren’t ready to treat with cipro I’d pass. Zero chance without cipro treatment on either them. Mags respond to cipro pretty well. I think they’d both have a reasonable chance with treatment.

I agree.

It also depends on the price you’re willing to pay, and possibly lose.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do not look good at all. I would save ur money and buy a healthy nem

The issue with mags though is that it’s pretty rare for them to look good and survive unless treated. To know you’re getting a healthy one you’d have to watch it at the store for at least a week and by that point someone else will have probably already bought it. Even seeing one that looks healthy one day when you are at the store could just be on one of its good cycles before a deflation cycle. Sometimes you get lucky but anyone looking for a mag or gig should have cipro on hand. I’m at the point where any mag or gig goes straight into cipro on arrival. I’ve had much better luck since doing that compared to giving them a couple days first to see if they happened to not need it.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely get the one in the back left it you do decide to try one. It looks like it’s holding its form better still. The cipro treatment isn’t that hard, just time consuming and kind of a pain to deal with every day. It’s rewarding to save them though when they were on their way to certain death

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mags seem to bounce back a lot better than gigs.

If I come across a mag that's not in good shape, unless it's falling apart or the mouth is gaping, the price determines whether or not I purchase it. I picked up a mag a couple of months ago that didn't require treatment.

This is in contrast to gigs, where if they don't look good in the LFS, I pass. My failure rate with gig treatment is probably at 50% at this point. The only mags I've lost were due to my neglect (they don't like dirty tanks).

OP
OP
maevepotter

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were priced at $109. There was a carpet also for 100. I know they've been there a long time and have been declining for awhile. 109 is too much for me to throw away without a guarantee or something from the fish store so I'm pretty hesitant. I just hate to see them kill such a magnificent thing. Ugh.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no “saving them”. If you buy they just get more anemone and not taken good care of them.
If the deflating have been going on for 4-5 days then the chance of you able to save them is less than 50%.
I buy them if the anemone is exceptional incoloeation or if the LFS owner knowing that these anemone is dying and willing to let me trying to save them and let me have them for free or cheap

OP
OP
maevepotter

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree with you Orion.... I've been very disappointed with that store

OP
OP
maevepotter

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Called the owner and he won't discount it. I've heard he's kind of an butt. Guess he prefers they kick it. Moron.

OP
OP
maevepotter

maevepotter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly doesn't seem like he will. Says he sometimes sends them home with employees to rehab but yeah. I've seen a lot of dead stuff or bleached stuff there.

Where do you buy your Cipro? Good prices?

Would a magnifica be way too much for a well stocked 40? I know I would have to rescape to make room. Already have a maxi mini, two rock flowers and a bta in there. What should I aim for in tank size if I upgrade in awhile?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they could be treated, but that’s a 50/50 like Minh mentioned. I’ve treated so many mags to date that I would much prefer to get a healthier anemone that would have a much better chance of surviving. It’s not worth it to me anymore to buy poor quality animals and as mentioned above, the LFS will continue to carelessly keep buying them because they know they’ll be sold.

However, if I saw blue tips or a really unique color I would likely take the risk to save the animal. That kinda contradicts what I said, but there’s exceptions to everything in life.

Kinda like if you saw a HomeWrecker colony for $10 and it was STNing a little bit. I’d likely buy that colony very quickly and try to save it. :)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 42.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back