Would you invest a grand for a KH Guardian?

Would you invest a grand for a KH Guardian?

• Total voters

JasReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a really neat item. I love automation as much as the next guy but there is no way anyone should pay $1000.00 for this. Make it cheap enough ($250.00) and a lot more people will buy it and you will recoup expenses and still make a tidy little profit. If not I will just have to spend 3 minutes a day to keep checking it with my trusty $50.00 Hanna checker and $6.00 regent refills.

Armydogracing

Zoa Collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for clarification, this thread seems like it is testing the waters on price so that is the only thing I am commenting on. As far as what it does, I think this is AWESOME!!! I love the direction the industry is headed with products like this. I also like that it takes up MUCH less room than the Alk tester that was demo'd at MACNA which Neptune is testing.

+1

adestafi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it kept my ALK stable and all I had to do was plug and play- with very little setup/programming, I would buy it- however, the $1K price tag is Defintely too high for something that is not wi-if enabled out of the box. Can you elaborate on the maintenance of it as well as software updates, etc? Is there a mobile app, etc?

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a machine that just shocks me when I haven't tested my alk in more than 4-5 days?

In all honestly I wouldn't pay for this machine at this price point. But in a few years when it's $500 I would definitely consider it! It takes time for tech to drop in price, which is totally normal. There will be some people lining up to buy these things.

OP
OP
Jeremy@CoralVue

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind the KHG really comes down to simplifying the process. I for one I am all for a simple device that will not only monitor my Alk levels but more importantly manage my constant battle with alk swings. After my unfortunate tank crash last year while attending the MACNA conference I currently test multiple times a week to keep my desired KH of 9.5 from fluctuating out of range. Like many of you have stated I too would not be able to afford one as an impulse purchase of +1k but would be a goal to obtain and would defiantly be on my wish/Christmas list.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind the KHG really comes down to simplifying the process. I for one I am all for a simple device that will not only monitor my Alk levels but more importantly manage my constant battle with alk swings. After my unfortunate tank crash last year while attending the MACNA conference I currently test multiple times a week to keep my desired KH of 9.5 from fluctuating out of range. Like many of you have stated I too would not be able to afford one as an impulse purchase of +1k but would be a goal to obtain and would defiantly be on my wish/Christmas list.

Jeremy to add to that thought it's also matter of perspective, how much do we have invested in SPS corals in our reef? For a lot of us that number is high and the cost of this could be justifiable.

Ricardo@Coralvue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just The fact that this product not only will test several times a day will also dode as need it
Automatically will do the proper dose and the level will be 100% consistent and no human error testing, or dosing, that 90% of the mistakes are by user error

OP
OP
Jeremy@CoralVue

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone explain why it needs network connectivity? Is it not a product that can work without that connectivity?

It uses remote terminal function to monitor and control the KHG via any web browser on the same local network. You do not have to install any software or APP. Simply use web browser for operation. The KHG also has onboard memory for long-term data logging.

coralfarm123

INDMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a great idea, but far too expensive for the average hobbyist and most would not have the overwhelming need to justify something like this. It is almost just as easy to figure your tank's dosage requirements and set up a dosing pump to add the necessary amounts at multiple intervals throughout the day. ALK is one of the quickest and easiest tests to do manually and is pretty easy to keep stable with a dosing pump.

OP
OP
Jeremy@CoralVue

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeremy to add to that thought it's also matter of perspective, how much do we have invested in SPS corals in our reef? For a lot of us that number is high and the cost of this could be justifiable.
I agree completely. I lost every acan, 90% of my challice and SPS with value of over $15000. If I know a device like the KHG would have prevented the loss I would would not hesitate to pony up the $. I know for sure that I will not feel safe putting too much more money into the system till I have a Guardian.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It uses remote terminal function to monitor and control the KHG via any web browser on the same local network. You do not have to install any software or APP. Simply use web browser for operation. The KHG also has onboard memory for long-term data logging.

So there's no way to run this without it being connected to the internet?

ReeferCub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in the product, hence writing this comment. If the price is $1000, I would have to continue to use my trusted Hanna checker. It currently takes me less than 3 minutes everyday to check my alk level. As the corals and coralline algae continue to grow, my kalkwasser demand grows slowly. But the change in Kalkwasser demand is so slow that I can manage to test once a day or every alternate day and still maintain fairly consistent alk level.
Finally the guys at neptune apex is also coming up with a similar system. Being an apex user myself, I would definitely demand any alk monitoring system to work with my current controller and be competitively priced.

OP
OP
Jeremy@CoralVue

Jeremy@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there's no way to run this without it being connected to the internet?
Yes you can but you still need to have an ethernet cable to your computer or router so that you can see your test history. The controller will only display the most recent test.

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$1000 based on what? There are several other units coming to the market soon which will make the pricing very competitive. Also, with that being said, the unit doesn't have many testers so an assumed risk is apparent. With ALK, one mishap from the unit, and it is bye-bye SPS/entire tank. Some of the ballers on here will lose thousands of dollars. Quite honestly, the unit shouldn't exceed $500 and that is pushing it. Also, there are automated testers now available by scientific industry that would be proven such as: http://hannainst.com/hi84531-titratable-alkalinity-mini-titrator-for-water-analysis.html

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 174 72.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 44 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back