would you spend $500 on a ozone generator or $500 on a filter floss roller for water clarity?

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about getting a ozone generator with the air dryer and orp controller for $500... or would reef be better served with a RED SEA REEF MAT ROLLER FOR $429?

Enderg60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither save your money they are not needed

you also dont need a heater or any filter at all....doesnt mean its worthless.

Ozone is one of those things you use as a cherry on top. There are VERY few instances where it would be worth it.

Fleece rollers I have come to consider an essential part of filtration.

All that said, its helpful to figure out what exactly is making your water "not clear" Is it coloration of the water, particles of something, do they float or sink, micro bubbles?

Start with filter socks, its cheap and easy. If you see results a fleece roller might be a good choice to replace the socks.

You can also try carbon in a reactor. If that works and you just dont like running carbon then ozone might be an option.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
what, then how to keep water crystal clear?
I use no mechanical filteration and never had any trouble keeping my water clean. In my experience it has to do more with sump turn over rates. I have very high flow in the tank, but slower sump turn over rate, letting all detritus settle in the sump (AIO chambers).

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ozone and roller mat will do different things. Not sure a roller mat will keep water crystal clear since many of the small particles go right through it. GAC in a canister or a diatom filter are really good at making water really clear. Ozone can work too. Roller mat is better at larger particles.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to try a reefmat 1200 but I have an icecap 36xl sump and can't make it fit
There are tons of other brands of rollers out there, people tend to forget that, lol.

I'm a long time bubble magus & klir user. Check out other manufacturers there are some lower profile options. IIRC, the klir 7" will fit with your sump configuration.

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are tons of other brands of rollers out there, people tend to forget that, lol.

I'm a long time bubble magus & klir user. Check out other manufacturers there are some lower profile options. IIRC, the klir 7" will fit with your sump configuration.
yes, but the KLIR are crap as far as I can tell from the reviews. no offense of course my friend.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
why not get a better roller mat that also skims for you as well?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither save your money they are not needed
I agree with this. Filter rollers are pricey and fail. Just read through the post of the failures. Sure it's probably a small amount of what is sold but failures non the less. I've never had a sock fail. I can't comment on ozone as I have no idea what it is or what it does. When my Gal who isn't really into the tanks looks at the fish and comments on how clear the water is that's good enough for me.
I'd spend the $500 on more coral :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
acropora4u

acropora4u

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not get a better roller mat that also skims for you as well?

thanks but, I already run a bubble king 200 skimmer. nice piece of equipment though.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 190 73.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.6%
Back