Would you use?

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the process of getting things together for our move but was just given a 55g with stand from 1 of my best friends. Not setting up until I move but was wondering if it would be safe to use due 2 a crack in the center plastic brace?
0802161138a.jpg

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would replace the tank.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I don't know if it was safe by my first tank was a 55 that did not have a center brace at all. Used it for about a year. But looking back on it wasn't to smart. With it the way it is u could secure it with a couple rivets or some epoxy. I don't know if it was this site or not but there are ways to fix it just have to google broken center brace and there are a lot of different options out there.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd replace the tank too, cause you can get a 55g at petco dollar per gallon sale, and cost of supplies for repair plus my time to do it is worth more than $55.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you replace the tank due to this? I'm all about non paranoia :) but your response is also different than the others.
IMO.... It's a bit of a daunting task to procure a new brace let along cut it out, clean off the old silicone and attach the new one, not that it can't be done. Structurally, the brace in those systems are designed to aid in the over all support strength, it "might" be fine for now or even a year from now, but the chance of it failing are greater then a structurally sound system.

OP
OP
Duke4Life

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I'll keep the stand and sit the tank out for recycling.

But:

Could it be used as is for a sump since there wouldn't be the full water volume involved?

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note 55s are a hard tank to work on. I'm guessing it's four feet long? If u were to replace it go bigger. U can still use ur lights and what have u if u go to a four foot 75 or 90 or even 120. More water is better and easier. And u can then use the 55 as a sump. With the bigger tank u have more room to work with and a better life for ur fishes. Not saying a 55 is bad but if u decide to buy a new one just a thought. Me personally four rivets and a piece of acrylic isn't that expensive. And u will def need to clean that tank and make sure it doesn't leak at the seams.

OP
OP
Duke4Life

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a side note 55s are a hard tank to work on. I'm guessing it's four feet long? If u were to replace it go bigger. U can still use ur lights and what have u if u go to a four foot 75 or 90 or even 120. More water is better and easier. And u can then use the 55 as a sump. With the bigger tank u have more room to work with and a better life for ur fishes. Not saying a 55 is bad but if u decide to buy a new one just a thought. Me personally four rivets and a piece of acrylic isn't that expensive. And u will def need to clean that tank and make sure it doesn't leak at the seams.
It is 4 foot. I've got a 125g already with at least a 180g after Christmas in the plans. This was just a freebie.

I like the sump idea as I only have a 20g for my 125g at the moment. Had been thinking not to long ago that I wish I would have went with a bigger sump from the start because the 20g limits me on space.

USMC4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I'll keep the stand and sit the tank out for recycling.

But:

Could it be used as is for a sump since there wouldn't be the full water volume involved?

You can definitely use it for that! This hobby is not cheap so if you can repurpose whatever you can. Unless you have $$$ to burn then in that case can I suggest you donate the $$$ to shlobs like me lol. Just joking.

OP
OP
Duke4Life

Duke4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can definitely use it for that! This hobby is not cheap so if you can repurpose whatever you can. Unless you have $$$ to burn then in that case can I suggest you donate the $$$ to shlobs like me lol. Just joking.
I'm right there with ya, every purchase is thought out and planned. Wish I had some of the fancy equipment others have, 1 day :)

tom reilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your going to keep it, clean the underside of the cross brace really well and superglue another piece of plastic across the crack. Do this while empty so glass isn't bowed.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 184 73.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back