Wrangler of magic smoke (not that kind...)

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I'm a fire alarm technician by day, and I like to tinker at night. We like to joke about how someone "let out the magic smoke" when we come across dead electronics in the field, hence the title. This evening I'm waiting for Amazon to deliver some 1/4" conductive copper tape, because I want to see how much electrical current I can run through it before it catches on fire.

I'm pushing 40, and recently got the first tank I've had since I was a kid. It's a 55 gallon from Petco, nothing special, but 5 times as big as my childhood tank. Something to start with nonetheless. I've never had a marine tank, I'm doing a lot of reading as I go though.

Power outages seem to be a big deal with these things. Since I have access to fire alarm system power supplies that already have all sorts of circuit protection, power monitoring, and backup batteries built into them, I'm aiming to keep everything on my system DC powered. So far, heaters are the only thing I'm having a tough time finding DC options for (not counting $$$ custom silicone encapsulated ones), and realistically, they'll probably be alright long enough to wait for an AC powered heater to turn back on. I'm never away for long.

Anywho, this seems like a nice place to exercise the old thinker while I patiently wait for my own tank to get through it's steps.

See you around!
My brother welcome aboard r2r you are gonna love it here ,, awesome people always willing to help in anyway possible and are very supportive and eager for you to succeed. And with u being a electrical technician I’m sure you can give advice when new people like myself are setting up equipment. Hope you like it here as much as I do

BayouReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AEFE9251-EDF7-4C92-98D4-7914A0C2412E.gif

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back