Wrasse Flashing or Fluke?

Shibaken3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did one month of copper and then one month of Prazi.
Out of QT and now in DT, I see my Radiant wrasse rubbing against a rock.
I can guarantee it's not ich (did 2.5 copper for a month). so I'm suspecting a gill fluke because I didn't have any Hanna checker to measure Prazi during QT.
However, my other fish are doing fine.
I also read that wrasse can flash by rubbing against rock.

Help me out with this video

timestamp 0:04 1:29 1:36 2:03 2:17 2:45 2:53

So why do I think it might be a gill fluke because of how many times he rubs his body against the rock, and not sure if I dosed Prazi right.
Why I think it's flashing he only rubs his body against this particular rock, and the other fish looks fine.

@Jay Hemdal @i cant think

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Out of QT and now in DT, I see my Radaitn wrasse rubbing against a rock.
I can guarantee it's not ich (did 2.5 copper for a month). so I'm suspecting a gill fluke because I didn't have any Hanna checker to measure Prazi during QT.

So why do I think it might be a gill fluke because of how many times he rubs his body against the rock, and not sure if I dosed Prazi right.
Why I think it's flashing he only rubs his body against this particular rock, and the other fish looks fine.

Praziquantel cant be measured as its Non-copper with a glycol additive.
As for prazi treatment, you would apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite when used.
If you treated any differently or were confused by 3 day instruction on bottle as treatment, this may be why and has confused many using product . While some wrasse do scratch naturally this does not seem excessive. Solenara are known to do this.
Is fish eating?
It seems to be breathing normal . Other fish do not appear to be affected.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My wrasses flash every so often however they are clearly incredibly healthy. It’s generally hunting or getting ready to dive into the sand.
Seeming as it’s the same rock each time it looks as though it’s likely hunting and not ill. And the spacing between the flashing doesn’t worry me too much as generally when they have flukes it’s more of a consistent flash instead of flash then swim IME.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How many doses of praziquantel did you use, and what brand did you use?
Jay

Stephen Glover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Melanarus was a drama queen in QT, he would occasionally flash or yawn, spending 2/3 of the day in his Tupperware sand bed. After 5 weeks and 3 rounds of Praziquantel I moved him to the display and hes been a great fish since. Don’t see any issues in the video, what size is that tank?

OP
OP
Shibaken3

Shibaken3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many doses of praziquantel did you use, and what brand did you use?
Jay
prazi pro, dozed 20 gallon worth of prazi at start. next week did a 10 gallon water change and added 10 gallon worth of prazi. After that didn't do water change for 2 weeks.
My Melanarus was a drama queen in QT, he would occasionally flash or yawn, spending 2/3 of the day in his Tupperware sand bed. After 5 weeks and 3 rounds of Praziquantel I moved him to the display and hes been a great fish since. Don’t see any issues in the video, what size is that tank?
It's a 4 ft 60-gallon tank. My wrasse was doing fine during QT. no flashing or rubbing so I thought all the fish were done with quarantine. But now he's rubbing against rock and no sure if its a fluke or if he's flashing.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
prazi pro, dozed 20 gallon worth of prazi at start. next week did a 10 gallon water change and added 10 gallon worth of prazi. After that didn't do water change for 2 weeks.

It's a 4 ft 60-gallon tank. My wrasse was doing fine during QT. no flashing or rubbing so I thought all the fish were done with quarantine. But now he's rubbing against rock and no sure if its a fluke or if he's flashing.

In re-reading this post, yes, wrasse do pick up stereotypic behavior where they will scratch or flash on a particular rock once in awhile. They will also look like they are flashing when they are hunting for food in the substrate. If no other fish are flashing, this may not be a treatable problem with the wrasse.

However, that said, your prazi treatment wasn't sufficient to control flukes. This is a 60 gallon tank, right? If so, you only dosed 1/3 the normal dose, and then, the second treatment was only 1/6th of what you needed. Praziquantel is only active in the water for < 72 hours, so your second dose was not effective because it wasn't adding to the first dose, that was already degraded.

The best way to use Prazipro is different than the label directions. Dose it for the net gallons of your tank (not the rated gallons, how much water it actually holds) with extra aeration. Continue to run any skimmer, but don't collect the skimmate. Remove any carbon filtration. Eight days later, do a 25% water change (not to remove the prazi, but to reduce the nutrient loading from the prazipro solvent) - then add a second dose. Prazi doesn't kill fluke eggs, so the second dose is designed to kill any newly hatched flukes left after the first dose, but before they have a chance to lay eggs themselves.

Jay

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 80 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 64 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back