Wrasse in QT - parasite or swim bladder?

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a trio of wrasses in QT since Tuesday. Two of them have been taking food (C. exquistius & C. rubeus), but the third (C. cf. cyanopleura) I have yet to see eat. Two of the wrasses have tested positive for flukes in a freshwater dip. I was hoping to give it another day or two to get the third to start eating, but it has not changed its odd behavior, and Im not sure if its related to the flukes or something else - perhaps a swim bladder issue. Ive not had good luck with wrasses this go around, and so Im trying really hard to observe and take appropriate action. I dosed Prazipro (Hikari liquid) at 2.0 mg/L earlier this afternoon after feeding the tanks, but the wrasse was still not interested in the food at all. The other two were a bit cowed with me being close to the tank, but they were eating afterwards. But, Im at the end of my knowledge and experience with this fish. There are no signs of bacterial infection, the fins look good, clear and whole, the eyes are clear.

Symptoms:
  • Heavy breathing
  • Cannot maintain horizontal position upon resting
  • Bumps into tank walls when swimming

Here's a video showing what Im talking about. When swimming, the specimen seems fine, aside from bumping into the walls, but upon resting, it remains upright for several moments, and then tips over, favoring lying on its side. There has not been any harassment between the other specimen in the tank that I have observed. All have intact fins and there are no abrasions.

Thoughts from those with more experience? @melypr1985 @Humblefish @evolved @eatbreakfast

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The heavy breathing could be from the flukes, and continued appetite suppression could be from dosing Prazipro.

Unfortunately, it can sometimes take fish 2-3 days to eat following treatment.

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clarify, just in case. The Prazi dose went in after this video was shot. I assume the heavy breathing is from the flukes - but I wasnt sure about the weird imbalance while resting. Thats why I didnt want to wait anymore on the Prazi dose. Im hoping its nothing permanent or damage to the specimen's swim bladder. But since it seems to be fine while swimming... well I dont know - thats why I posted. We'll see what happens - Im try to watch the tank from about 8' away so the shadows dont spook the wrasses in there. Always nervous with these guys. :oops:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ksfulk Any protrusions near their swim bladder area? In the video I thought I saw a little bulge in some angles.

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ksfulk Any protrusions near their swim bladder area? In the video I thought I saw a little bulge in some angles.

I didnt see any one area that I would call protruding. The specimen's body is relatively smooth along the sides and ventral surfaces. Im afraid Im not all that upto date on my fish anatomy though, where exactly should I be looking?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not all that upto date on my fish anatomy though, where exactly should I be looking?

It would look somewhat like this:

100_0761X.jpg

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see it - the sides are not protruding at all, nor is there the "pot" belly that your picture shows. The tank is dark for the night, so I'll have to look again tomorrow when the light is on again, and they arent in little mucus cocoons.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wrasse experts should chime in, in the AM, with their take.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen wrasse behave this way when they are stressed. I would wait for the fish guys to chime in on that behavior but I would bet the heavy breathing is from the flukes.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's so hard to tell with wrasse in qt -- they behave as if they're in poor health often when they're not. On the other hand, true ailments can be ignored as a result. I await eatbreakfast and evolved on this although I'm leaning slightly towards this being simply a stressed wrasse

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the good thing is that so far the consensus agrees with my own conclusion. Hopefully its just stress and a fluke problem that I can knock out quickly and we can get back to business with these beautiful fishes :)

Thanks all for your weighing in so far. :)

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... I think I'm done with wrasses. This is loss 10, 11, & 12. I can't figure out what the problem is. The larger wrasse was still covered in mucous from the night (I assume). Eyes were sunken and filmy. The longfin looked freshly dead, but flukes were present in the post mordem dip. The exquisitus had some folded pectoral fins, like maybe it got damaged somehow. The only thing I can think of is that it got stuck on the powerhead, but that little hydor doesn't seem like it would allow the wrasses body that close. No white marks so I don't believe it's velvet or the like.

Anyhow, I'm done with these fish for now. :oops: Which is sad because they are so beautiful :(

IMG_1307.JPG
IMG_1308.JPG
IMG_1309.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for your losses. Had you dosed the prazipro yet?

OP
OP
ksfulk

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry for your losses. Had you dosed the prazipro yet?

Yup - Prazi went in yesterday evening around 6:30pm at 2.0 mg/L, which is a bit less than the 2.5mg/L suggested dosage, but hopefully in the safe zone for these fish. Though, I suppose now, it doesnt matter.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back