gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can use these
1034014739713%281%29%282%29%283%29%284%29%285%29.jpg

Isn't there a chance water will squirt out of the "air" holes and spray on the wall? Or am I missing something?
Gary

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you've addressed the problem I have with this whole issue. It has always seemed to me that there is essentially no difference between having to maintain a check valve and having to make sure small holes in locline are kept open and to remember that if you adjust the locline, you have to do it in such as way as to not block the holes. I'm not arguing the point one way or the other. I just struggle to see that there is an appreciable difference.
Gary
well it is quiet simpler to clear a hole than it is to take your plumbing apart and clean it....me personally i don't use either i use tank jets for all my returns so i get quiet a bit of back flow since there drilled threw the back of the tank but i make my sumps to fit my needs every tank i have owned has had a sump at least half the tank size or the same size..lol my big 300gal tank i ran a 220gal sump it left me 80 gal to wash back althou it only came out to 30 when i pulled the plug...;)

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the luxury of having a large sump, so that option's out. I dismantle my drive pumps monthly for cleaning and the check valves are just part of the process, so it's six of one, half dozen of the other to me.
Gary

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No drilled holes and no check valves, both require maintenance and both fail, even if cleaned 5 minutes ago. Stick with the proper placement of the returns and forget all the rest period. Air gaps don't fail.

NYBumkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I've use one on two systems and am using one now. Make sure they're installed vertically and, every month, pull out the drop plug for cleaning and clean the housing in which it sits. They work great.
Gary
How do you disassemble them without the water leaking all over? I start to unscrew the cap it starts leaking water.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
How do you disassemble them without the water leaking all over? I start to unscrew the cap it starts leaking water.
When I turn the pump off, there is always some water upstream from the check valve. I just wrap a towel under the valve to catch the water.

NYBumkin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I turn the pump off, there is always some water upstream from the check valve. I just wrap a towel under the valve to catch the water.
Yea I kinda figured that was the deal. Kinda silly really. There’s quite a bit of water in 2’ of 3/4” pipe lol

I may try to suck it out when it’s time to service. I’ll figure something out. “Necessity is the mother of invention“ Yea? Lol

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back