• Total voters

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day marine lovers!
I made this post so I could reach out to those that have trialed and tested both! Did the WYE valve live up to the price!? Did you swap your flappers out routinely instead? Would you ever use both in unison? Yes there are ways around them. But those that still have them. Those that have used them, what was/is your method of practice in achieving piece of mind?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use checks anymore, but when I did I preferred Y checks over either flapper or ball checks. Easier to clean (and you should clean them frequently), orientation agnostic. Flappers also tended to bounce on me, Y checks did not.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used wye for maintenance reasons, but now I design my plumbing and sumps so that I don't need them anymore. A failed check valve in a system that isn't designed to handle a bit of back flow is a disaster waiting to happen.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y checks didn't leak that I recall. Need to account for water hammer when they close though. Just need to keep the plunger cap o ring in good shape.

Mar344

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used wye for maintenance reasons, but now I design my plumbing and sumps so that I don't need them anymore. A failed check valve in a system that isn't designed to handle a bit of back flow is a disaster waiting to happen.
How do you plumb? I can't think of way to plum a return where you wouldn't need a check valve? I hate the idea of relying on one so I'd love to learn your methods if you don't mind sharing.

OP
OP
NowGlazeIT

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you plumb? I can't think of way to plum a return where you wouldn't need a check valve? I hate the idea of relying on one so I'd love to learn your methods if you don't mind sharing.
One way is to have a large enough sump to accommodate the amount of water that will back siphon.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Keep your return outlet at or slightly above the waterline so the siphon breaks immediately if the power goes out. Then get a large enough sump to accommodate any back siphon that may happen, and if you custom build yours, make sure under normal use it doesn't fill above half.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drill an anti-siphon hole and also have the return very near the top. Also have a large enough sump.

Mar344

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Planned on having a sump large enough but the back siphon worries me. Anti siphon hole makes sense.

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a full tank failure while gone on vacation due to a cheapo home depot check valve. When I rebuilt I swapped to the $50+ wye. Not bad, but that still allows for a small backflow! And after some time when it built up and got dirty things got much worse. Shocking! Called BRS and they recommend a 2nd check inline for redundancy. Had a wye on each of my two return lines (1/2in), then put a flapper on the 1in main trunk where everything met together. Dont forget all checks are directional! The wye need to be vertical and the flapper needs to be hinge side up! The 2nd valve stopped 100% of the flow, and even when dirty the wye works better now! (Less overall pressure I think, allowing it to seat easier)

Double down!!!! :)

Passedyouby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh!!! And fun fact, they dont sell extra union parts, so if you want to change your plumbing make sure to leave enough extra pipe to cut that expensive SOB out and still have room to glue new fittings.

symon_say

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a cap on top of return line drill a hole for a 1/4" hose and place the hose inside tank about 1/8" of the water, that way if power goes out, siphon will break instantly.

I have always use this instead of check valves and never have had a failure, you just need to verify once in a while for salt creep (I have never seen any salt build up in mine).

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a ball check valve right above my return pump. Works flawlessly. Having it at the bottom ensures the water pressure during pump cutoff creates a good seal. Also makes it easy to remove pump to clean.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 58 29.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back