Wyoming Reefers........anyone??

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go there. :). Going to check out aqua Mart also. I have a Green male and spotted female in my other tank now. Love watching them glide around the tank. :D

Shelley

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go there. :). Going to check out aqua Mart also. I have a Green male and spotted female in my other tank now. Love watching them glide around the tank. :D

Shelley
Never been to aqua mart. Any good?

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only been once, and rather briefly. They were clean, had lots of inventory also. And when we went they had in several white tail bristle tooth tangs. I had been wanting one and had just ordered it elsewhere. Also have some coral frags. Tanks were clean. Have to go again to know more.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There my all time fav. Fish. And you all know how hard that is to decided..lol might try it at some point if I can get a pod farm going.

I can give you all my experiences in keeping them if you really want. They are peaceful fish. And rather robust, if you do not mind a little extra work. I tried raising my own pods. To risky for me. I bought tigger pods online along with tisbe to seed my tank. But I think of them as snacks for my mandarins. Mine will eat just about anything now. But at first, and even now, their main nutrition comes from the baby brine shrimp I hatch and feed to them with Paul B' s feeder. DAILY. This is my way to keep them fat and healthy.

Shelley

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I called around and no one has a red one at this time. :(

Shelley

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I thought about Paul b feeder..but I thought bbs was not enough for them to live on?
Cool that you got it to eat what ever so jelly! :)
I have a canary blenny in my 2ol macro tank I can't get to eat for a month + just hunts pods so adding another pod eater prob. Not a good idea.:( and my 90 gonna have mini maxi nems..
Humm you got me thinking about them agin tho...

Live aquaria has red in stock BTW

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I thought about Paul b feeder..but I thought bbs was not enough for them to live on?
:)
Live aquaria has red in stock BTW

She may disagree with you. :rolleyes:

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Paul your over here to!
Ugg you guys are tempting me.
Mandy are my hands down fav. Fish.
OK i'll have to look in to that again.

Of course Paul is where ever we discuss fish needing pods! :D. And since you have a fish in need of the BBS currently you should get on it quickly. The brine shrimp hatchery comes with a supply of BBS that is enough for about six months. I bought two dishes for ease and to keep a supply constantly on hand. There are other ways of course.

Shelley

I saw that they have a red female, might order it. But am waiting to hear from a guy about an Angelfish. Shipping would be cheaper that way. Thinking.....

Maximizer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to get one too but not until i get a bigger tank and huge refugium or build a bbs hatchery/feeder. It just sounds like hatching bbs everyday is quite a chore.

Nice looking mandys paul, as usual lol.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I hatch shrimp every day and have for decades. Not much of a chore

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could purchase eggs online, or do it yourself, that have had the shells removed. That would allow a sitter to care for them easier. I use two of the hatcheries. (I use the eggs that still have shells) I prepare water in a gallon milk jug. Then fill one with it on day one. Add a small amount of eggs and then within 24 hours I can start using BBS out of it. There is a small cup for ease of removal. Has a net in the bottom. Day two I add more eggs to the same dish. Day 3 I set up the next dish. Day 3 I add to it. Day 4 I start over with the first dish. It is pretty easy. No heat lamps even. My scooter blenny loves them also. And I agree with Paul, not much of a chore really. A sitter could do it. Or you could add extra pods if you go on vacation. I have two sitters when I leave. My daughter cares for my fish. And my neighbor cares for my plants. :p

I did order the red mandarin from blue zoo. I hope it really is a female. :D. I had hoped I could get one in Denver tomorrow. But I was unable to find a LFS that had one. :(

Shelley

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. Shelly.
I am deffentally considering a mandrin now. I but it off as I do travel from time to time for 3 to 6 weeks. But if it is that easy...

Anyway worth looking into again!

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is that easy. If you use the dish hatchery you will need to clean the 'cup' net sometimes. They get clogged over time. Just use some spray CLR, let set a few minutes and rinse well. A bottle brush cleans the dish out. I also use some live phyto plankton to feed the BBS that gets a little older than 24 hours post hatch. I keep a couple of soda bottles filled and add a few drops right into the dish. Or just make sure they are under 24 hours old. I use a gallon jug to keep the saltwater ready for the dishes. I drew a water line on the jug and figured out the correct amount of salt needed for quick refills. Every few months I get a new jug as mold starts to grow. The hatchery dish came with enough eggs to last more than 6 months I would guess. So if you purchase two you would be set for about a year. ;)

Shelley

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also over time my two began to eat other things. Like frozen food and live black worms. They are extras. Pods and BBS is their main food. But I like target feeding them the black worms. :p

sfmacguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wyoming represent! I lived in Sheridan and JH for around 5 years, before moving out to Cali. Miss Wyoming though.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wyoming represent! I lived in Sheridan and JH for around 5 years, before moving out to Cali. Miss Wyoming though.

I am in Casper. Sheridan is beautiful. If you are into eclipse there is a huge one right over us next summer. Great time to visit.

Shelley

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It only takes me maybe 3 minutes a day. I designed this hatchery many years ago and use it every day. The eggs take a little longer than a day to hatch so I start a batch in a different container then the hatchery, then when a batch hatches in the hatchery, I dump in the eggs from the other container. I get a hatch every day which I need because I keep pipefish, mandarins and ruby reds.
http://www.saltwatersmarts.com/diy-brine-shrimp-hatchery-shell-separator-2842/

And this video.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back