View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very new to the hobby/lifestyle. I
20230612_074058.jpg
20230612_090102.jpg
20230612_090104.jpg
ve had this tank for maybe 3 months and my xenia/pipe organ coral. Has some type of pellets stringing off of it. Does anyone know what this is?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could this be sexual reproduction? Those dots look like gamete packets to me? Not expected from such a small coral fragment but there they are, perhaps?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't notice on my phone last night, but welcome to Reef2Reef!

Out of curiosity, could you tell us the following:
1) about your lighting (i.e. what kind of light/lights you have, what the settings are on the light/lights, what schedule you run the light/lights on, if the tank gets any natural light on it, etc.)?
2) water parameters?
3) if something (like a water change or temp spike or something) triggered the spawning here?

OP
OP
A

ABCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't notice on my phone last night, but welcome to Reef2Reef!

Out of curiosity, could you tell us the following:
1) about your lighting (i.e. what kind of light/lights you have, what the settings are on the light/lights, what schedule you run the light/lights on, if the tank gets any natural light on it, etc.)?
2) water parameters?
3) if something (like a water change or temp spike or something) triggered the spawning here?

Thanks for the welcoming.

For lighting i have one MYAI pro, running 34w, Schedule 8am-5:30pm
Settings,
UV 119
Violet 116
Royal Blue 80
Blue 80
Green 0
Deep Red 0
Cool White 61

As far as parameters go I only keep track of these 4, unless something comes up when I get my water tested.
Calcium 400
Salinity 1.025
Alkalinity 6
PH 8.1

Water changes every Wednesday. Water tested on Thursday.

Temp runs around 68 to 80. I did see it spike yesterday evening to 82.5 +/-

No natural light besides ambient light in the evening.

Also, this tank is set up in my office so temp could have gone higher over night, but I noticed the spike in temp around 6pm yesterday. Temp was at 81 this morning when I noticed everything. I also have this same coral on the other side of my tank and noticed no change in it.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. We don't see coral spawning very often, so it's always a treat. Expect to see lots of little pipe organs all over the tank in the near future.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have pipe organs that really took over a tank of mine, had a large calcium skeleton that each of the polyps retreated into. was a bit messy, but also really neat how it grew. I loved it. Been trying to find a pipe organ since then. I got some clove polyps that the coral shop was "Pipe organ". Not exactly what I'm looking for. heh.

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have pipe organs that really took over a tank of mine, had a large calcium skeleton that each of the polyps retreated into. was a bit messy, but also really neat how it grew. I loved it. Been trying to find a pipe organ since then. I got some clove polyps that the coral shop was "Pipe organ". Not exactly what I'm looking for. heh.

I've also been having a hard time finding a nice pipe organ coral. @WWC had one up on ebay this week that I'm kicking myself for not bidding on. I'm looking for one that looks more like a daisy vs. the ones with long sweeping arms. They called it an "Evergreen Pipe Organ" so I'll be keeping an eye out for more frags of that.

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heads-up: TSA has a nice looking pipe organ for sale. I purchased the other “Snow White” wysiwyg one they had. It should arrive tomorrow. I’ve been looking for a while and this variety is harder to find than the green ones. https://topshelfaquatics.com/product/snow-white-pipe-organ-wysiwyg-softie-frag-27/

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wo
I've also been having a hard time finding a nice pipe organ coral. @WWC had one up on ebay this week that I'm kicking myself for not bidding on. I'm looking for one that looks more like a daisy vs. the ones with long sweeping arms. They called it an "Evergreen Pipe Organ" so I'll be keeping an eye out for more frags of that.
Would you recommend a pipe organ if it takes over your tank? I am asking because I won a bid one and also a firework clove and trying to decide which I should keep if either.

I way over bought and they are trying to charge me two shipping fees so I have to scale back on some of my wins.

Attaching a pic. Aqua sd has them on ebay I won it for 9 bucks the firework was only 6 bucks! They also have some long whiteish looking ones but didint care much for them.

I have a lot of tonga and a bridge conecting the tongas so maybe if I put back there it wont be so inavasive. I definetly dont want on main rock work.

Is it hard to remove the pipe organs if they start to overgrow since they sort of have a skeleton(confusing). I read that cloves are easy to remove because of the way they grow.

Attachments

• pipe organ.jpg
    pipe organ.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 12

JohnNYC8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wo

Would you recommend a pipe organ if it takes over your tank? I am asking because I won a bid one and also a firework clove and trying to decide which I should keep if either.

I way over bought and they are trying to charge me two shipping fees so I have to scale back on some of my wins.

Attaching a pic. Aqua sd has them on ebay I won it for 9 bucks the firework was only 6 bucks! They also have some long whiteish looking ones but didint care much for them.

I have a lot of tonga and a bridge conecting the tongas so maybe if I put back there it wont be so inavasive. I definetly dont want on main rock work.

Is it hard to remove the pipe organs if they start to overgrow since they sort of have a skeleton(confusing). I read that cloves are easy to remove because of the way they grow.

I wish I could give you a good answer but I've never had to remove either. I have read that removing pipe organ is very difficult because every time you break the skeleton it can land and start new growth. That being said, if you place it on a rock you can remove from the tank easily and scrub you should be OK.

They're beautiful when they grow and provide very interesting movement.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 65 32.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back