Xenia + Removal Tool

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tool ROCKS! It can remove so much more than Xenia as well.

I was on a thread not too long ago, I can't find it anymore. Someone was talking about bubble algae removal (I think??) I can't even remember :) anyway he posted a picture of some metal straws. Huge lightbulb went off in my head. I ordered some from amazon that night and bing bang boom.
The best reef tool ever!

It reminds me of having a dental tool for the reef, but the suction is built right in!

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. I think @Timfish has also been using steel straws for scraping+vacuuming in one. It's a nice technique.

OP
OP
Spicy Reef

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. I think @Timfish has also been using steel straws for scraping+vacuuming in one. It's a nice technique.
That's so strange, I searched straw/s and nothing came up for me...
I search "steal straws" and there they are :face-with-tears-of-joy: including the post I commented on :)

OP
OP
Spicy Reef

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple of pics. You can see how I modified the straw to give it an angle as well as sharpen it.

This is absolutely necessary if you want to remove the pesky small brown xenia. I'm anxious to try it on aiptasia but my peppermint don't give me a chance!

image0 (1).jpeg

image1.jpeg

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar approach but I use stainless steel locking hemostat forceps. I have 8", 12", and 24" that work great for this sort of thing. Easy to clamp at base of stalk and rock, lock in place, clamp, and gently pull left, right, and up. Bob's your Uncle. Also works for similar evasive soft or leather coral(s).

Oh - also a Zoster or Pyramid butterfly will more often than not clear it if you like butterflies :D

OP
OP
Spicy Reef

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar approach but I use stainless steel locking hemostat forceps. I have 8", 12", and 24" that work great for this sort of thing. Easy to clamp at base of stalk and rock, lock in place, clamp, and gently pull left, right, and up. Bob's your Uncle. Also works for similar evasive soft or leather coral(s).

Oh - also a Zoster or Pyramid butterfly will more often than not clear it if you like butterflies :D
Nice!
It was no problem using that with the larger purple-ish pompom xenia.

Are you able to use those on the smaller bushing brown xenia? I had zero luck with it until the steal straw.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!
It was no problem using that with the larger purple-ish pompom xenia.

Are you able to use those on the smaller bushing brown xenia? I had zero luck with it until the steal straw.

I've had success with any coral that has a stalk I could clamp on to. Preference is to clamp as close to the rock as possible. When I envision your question and think about it I would have to say probably not. Not because it wouldn't work but rather nothing to firmly clamp. Scraping the rock in this case would work but I usually had floaters :) So not ideal.

I think the steel straw you mention or that another member did (or both) and suction is better in this use case. I've not tried this but something I am considering. I need to remove a bunch of green palythoa's.

In any case thanks for sharing and creating the content. I think I didn't say that last time. If you don't have any think about the clamps. If nothing else a good item to have in our reefing tool box :D

All the best and have a great day.

OP
OP
Spicy Reef

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a close up pic. I used a chop saw very slowly to cut the angle and a flat metal file to sharpen the point. You can get almost any size straw depending on your needs...
image1 (2).jpeg

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use a 3d printed forcips (the ones that stay closed normally and you have to Press to open) with success. Just grab the xenia in the bottom and you are done.

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use a 3d printed forcips (the ones that stay closed normally and you have to Press to open) with success. Just grab the xenia in the bottom and you are done.

OP
OP
Spicy Reef

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no problem using that method on the larger xenia, but these little brown "bushing" xenia nestle in like aiptasia. In fact they are about as difficult to remove.

btw what filament do you use for that, must be strong :)

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not very strong, it's a simple pla. when i grab the xenia, with a little finger pressure, i'm able to detech it from the rocks

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my video. It's funny, I was talking with one of my competitor/friends a few years ago and he came up with basicely the same thing about the same time as I did 20+ years ago using Ehiem rigid tubing. I have to belive other maintenance people have figured it out too but the lack of posts they may be keeping it to themselves. I've used different types rigid and semi rigid tubing and jumped on steel straws when I saw them online.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back