XPAqua - Duetto ATO question.

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for those folks using the new XP Aqua - Duetto ATO. I ordered one but didn't think about this until this morning. Now I am a bit concerned. When the high water level electronic float is triggered, do you need to reset the ATO or will it resume normally when the water level returns to normal? (like when you shut your return pumps off for feeding then turn them back on again).

Here is why I am asking. I will try to put in as much detail as I can. I have another ATO installed with some similar features to the Duetto on my All-In-One (RedSea Max E-170). The sump is in the back of the tank and it is tall & thin. This causes the water level in the to sump change a lot with very little actual water volume. This will result in a short pump runtime with most ATO's. That ATO uses 3x first fill length for a safety. Due to short fill times (and resulting short QST) the safety kicks in, in error, especially on warmer days with more evaporation. (Look at my build thread if you want to know more.). You need to manually reset the ATO at that point.

I read about the XPAqua - Duetto and it seems like it may address my issue. 6x first fill time vs 3x, would be much better and hopefully not give me a false QST error on warm days. My one concern is the high water sensor. I think I read somewhere that the Duetto will run for a minimum of 3 seconds. If this fills my sump up to \over the high level sensor, will it generate an error forcing me to reset the ATO. If it doesn't (and only prevents the ATO from filling further) it will work fantastic.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I would like

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question for those folks using the new XP Aqua - Duetto ATO. I ordered one but didn't think about this until this morning. Now I am a bit concerned. When the high water level electronic float is triggered, do you need to reset the ATO or will it resume normally when the water level returns to normal? (like when you shut your return pumps off for feeding then turn them back on again).

I didn't get an answer but my XP Aqua came in the mail today. So I will answer it in case others are looking as well.
The answer: When the high water level electronic float is triggered, the controller it will simply blink and not let the pump run. Once the water level recedes the ATO resumes normal operation.

Last edited:

Esage

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't get an answer but my XP Aqua came in the mail today. So I will answer it incase others are looking as well.
When the high water level electronic float is triggered, the answer is the controller it will simply blink and not let the pump run. Once the water level recedes the ATO resumes normal operation.

Thanks for this information, I've been looking to purchase one of these

OP
OP
Taxus812

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this information, I've been looking to purchase one of these

I am pretty happy so far. Simple install works just like the smart ATO Micro (same pump, power supply, tubing, clamp etc) with the exception of a longer sensor cord, 6x first run time safety (vs 3x) and a high level water sensor.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 88 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 106 50.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.3%
Back