XR15 gen 6 high intensity lens kit comparison

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought 2 xr15 gen 6 lights for my tank and was a little underwhelmed with the PAR values. The prevailing hypothesis from forums seems to be that the increased spread/coverage of the gen 6 decreases intensity at any one spot; advantageous for large tanks with lots of these lights overlapping, but maybe not so good for my little one (light mostly just shines in my eyes lol).

I decided to try out the high intensity lens kit to see if it would increase my output a bit! I ordered 1 kit and installed it on the right light (not the light on the left). At first, I just wanted to test it out, but after reading the par values I thought it would be a nice comparison for others to see the left/right differences.

Tank dims are 36" x 19" x 18". Lights are mounted with the RMS mounts spaced ~6" from each edge of the tank. PAR measurements were recorded with the VABIRA-aqua meter (I've compared this against an apogee at my LFS and the par values recorded from a variety of lights, xr15's included, are within 5% of eachother). Lights were set to the following values with point intensity at 100%:

UV: 100%
Violet: 100%
Royal: 100%
Blue: 100%
Green: 25%
Red: 25%
Warm white: 0%
Cool white: 40%

High intensity lens kit definitely has an improvement in par (right) compared to base lens kit (left).

PAR_values.png

I have a RBTA on the right (located at the 220 number) that seemed to perk up with the new kit!

I'm also curious to poll people's opinions. Since my goal is to grow some SPS corals at the 115-125 section of the rocks: do you think this is sufficient or is it worth getting another high intensity lens kit and pushing the lights together a bit? I want to avoid getting another fixture, for both cost and aesthetics lol

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have 6 XR15 over my 72*36*22 and hit over 350 PAR at the top of my rocks with the settings below. Each 24*36 section of my tank has 2 XR15s. So a little larger area than yours. I can hit well over 400 and closer to 450 at full 100% everything.

Your PAR numbers look low because you’ve basically turned off the white LEDs.

IMG_1078.jpeg

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought 2 xr15 gen 6 lights for my tank and was a little underwhelmed with the PAR values. The prevailing hypothesis from forums seems to be that the increased spread/coverage of the gen 6 decreases intensity at any one spot; advantageous for large tanks with lots of these lights overlapping, but maybe not so good for my little one (light mostly just shines in my eyes lol).

I decided to try out the high intensity lens kit to see if it would increase my output a bit! I ordered 1 kit and installed it on the right light (not the light on the left). At first, I just wanted to test it out, but after reading the par values I thought it would be a nice comparison for others to see the left/right differences.

Tank dims are 36" x 19" x 18". Lights are mounted with the RMS mounts spaced ~6" from each edge of the tank. PAR measurements were recorded with the VABIRA-aqua meter (I've compared this against an apogee at my LFS and the par values recorded from a variety of lights, xr15's included, are within 5% of eachother). Lights were set to the following values with point intensity at 100%:

High intensity lens kit definitely has an improvement in par (right) compared to base lens kit (left).

PAR_values.png

I have a RBTA on the right (located at the 220 number) that seemed to perk up with the new kit!

I'm also curious to poll people's opinions. Since my goal is to grow some SPS corals at the 115-125 section of the rocks: do you think this is sufficient or is it worth getting another high intensity lens kit and pushing the lights together a bit? I want to avoid getting another fixture, for both cost and aesthetics lol
IMG_20240101_145137532.jpg

This is under t5, but close to your par numbers on the left side. You will be fine IMO

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 XR15 over my 72*36*22 and hit over 350 PAR at the top of my rocks with the settings below. Each 24*36 section of my tank has 2 XR15s. So a little larger area than yours. I can hit well over 400 and closer to 450 at full 100% everything.

Your PAR numbers look low because you’ve basically turned off the white LEDs.

IMG_1078.jpeg
Even with the whites on, my numbers are not much higher (warm white isnt that significant of a fraction of the diodes). Without the high intenstiy lens kit, the highest value with all channels 100% is 200 PAR right in the middle. Regardless though, I'm not a big fan of the warm white look; I should have gone with the xr15 blues, but got talked out of it at my LFS for being "too blue".

I think these lights have really amazing spread and I bet with the larger tank there is more overlap to raise the PAR. If I turn off one light, I still get non negligible par from the other light, even across the length of the tank lol. But alas, I only have 2 to overlap and think I'm benefitting from focusing the PAR.

But I'm actually more curious if ~100-150 PAR of cool white spectrum can grow SPS well. This is my first time attempting SPS and am worried since so many forums talk about 300-500+ levels lol

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20240101_145137532.jpg

This is under t5, but close to your par numbers on the left side. You will be fine IMO
Looks nice! But I'm curious if this lighting is sufficient for SPS. I've had LPS and zoas growing great under the light for a while now but am hoping to grow some thick colonies of SPS!

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even with the whites on, my numbers are not much higher (warm white isnt that significant of a fraction of the diodes). Without the high intenstiy lens kit, the highest value with all channels 100% is 200 PAR right in the middle. Regardless though, I'm not a big fan of the warm white look; I should have gone with the xr15 blues, but got talked out of it at my LFS for being "too blue".

I think these lights have really amazing spread and I bet with the larger tank there is more overlap to raise the PAR. If I turn off one light, I still get non negligible par from the other light, even across the length of the tank lol. But alas, I only have 2 to overlap and think I'm benefitting from focusing the PAR.

But I'm actually more curious if ~100-150 PAR of cool white spectrum can grow SPS well. This is my first time attempting SPS and am worried since so many forums talk about 300-500+ levels lol
How high do you have them mounted?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're on the RMS mounts, so they are set at the 8" (I think this is how high they are)
I have the same light on the other side of my tank setup the same. Xr15 g6. I get low to mid 200 par in my 75 gallon tank. Did you make sure the light was set at 100% and kinda a dumb question but you don't have the setting as acclimate?

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same light on the other side of my tank setup the same. Xr15 g6. I get low to mid 200 par in my 75 gallon tank. Did you make sure the light was set at 100% and kinda a dumb question but you don't have the setting as acclimate?

Not sure what acclimate is, but I have the point intensity set to 100% and then adjusted the individual values of the colors. I hope I'm making a dumb mistake though, as this would be an easy fix for the PAR lol.

I went to my LFS after testing out my par meter because I assumed it was the meters fault. But alas, it read the same types of values on their 6th gen xr15s, and also matched their apogee par reader. Interestingly the 5th gen had higher PAR values though!

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh also, is this a single xr15 on your tank or multiple?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh also, is this a single xr15 on your tank or multiple?
I run a 6 bulb 4ft t5 across the tank and 1 xr15 above my acro section under the t5. This is where the one xr15 sits under the t5.
IMG_20240101_145145398.jpg

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is your light mounted really close to the water?
I use the xr15 mount I believe it is actually 9 inches off the water. The t5 is mounted above that.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But xr15 Mount

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PAR_values.png

If you want SPS (200-350 PAR range) in the middle, I'd definitely get another lens kit and experiment with moving the lights closer together to see what you get. Since the lenses cut down on spread, I'd put the lights about 8" in from each end and see where that gets you. You'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

The reason the Gen 5s had higher PAR is because the lenses (and actual diodes) have a tighter spread than the Gen 6... basically the same as what the lens kit is doing for your lights. With the lens "upgrade" you get the improved spectrum of the Gen 6 and the tighter spread of the Gen 5. Just kind of sucks that you have to buy an add-on to do it.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the xr15 mount I believe it is actually 9 inches off the water. The t5 is mounted above that.
According to BRS the RMS mount is designed to do the same distance.
9" from the water to the light face (or should be).

At 126 degrees for the g6 I find it hard to believe the optimal height for both the g5 and 6 is the same.

g6 mathematically should be lower.
24" wide tank should have the 126 degree light like 6" off the water.
At 9" and 126 degrees a single led has a spot diameter of 35"

A 100 degrees at 9" is a 21" dia spot.
All rough estimates of course.

"

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

At 126 degrees for the g6 I find it hard to believe the optimal height for both the g5 and 6 is the same.

"

Exactly. That's why, when "upgrading" from Gen 5 to Gen 6, people complained that their PAR dropped significantly. With the new, wider spread and the same mounting height, a lot of the light was just bleeding out into the room instead of into the tank. Evidently it was enough of a problem that they introduced this new lens which basically just returns the spread to Gen 5 levels.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

"
Interesting, I will have to take some PAR readings.

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I have a smaller tank with an xr15 G6 above it, and I get this new lens, will I have less light spilling all around my tank? That would be awesome.

I feel like the light spillage has increased in my room more since "upgrading" from the G5 to the G6.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back