XR30 Gen 4 connection problem

Marcusnapoleon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I bought a used xr30 gen4 that i suspect has a bad WiFi chip because it didnt show up when my friend tried to connect it via Apex (or some app).
I have tried connecting it via a USB cable into my PC, the connection manager recognizes the light and i can enable/disable buttons, reset and reboot via the connection manager. But when I open Ecosmart Live, create a new profile and try to find my device, it just keeps on buffering. A few minutes goes by and I get to a site that lets you choose between Usb och Wireless. I choose USB, but it still doesnt find my light. What am I doing wrong?
I have tried different web browsers, factory reseting the light, follow a step by step guide to reset them (log out, unplug light, create new profile etc). But nothing seems to be working.

Does anyone have some ideas on what might be causing this?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I read about this before with used ecotech devices. My memory isn't great so I maybe wrong but I think it had to do with the devices bring registered to someone else's ecosmart account. Ecotech had to be contacted to remove the device from the previous owners account. Like I said I may be wrong but it might be worth contacting them to ask.

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I bought a used xr30 gen4 that i suspect has a bad WiFi chip because it didnt show up when my friend tried to connect it via Apex (or some app).
I have tried connecting it via a USB cable into my PC, the connection manager recognizes the light and i can enable/disable buttons, reset and reboot via the connection manager. But when I open Ecosmart Live, create a new profile and try to find my device, it just keeps on buffering. A few minutes goes by and I get to a site that lets you choose between Usb och Wireless. I choose USB, but it still doesnt find my light. What am I doing wrong?
I have tried different web browsers, factory reseting the light, follow a step by step guide to reset them (log out, unplug light, create new profile etc). But nothing seems to be working.

Does anyone have some ideas on what might be causing this?
I have the xr30 g4 pro and it has to be connected through the mobius app. Do you have this app downloaded?

Also you will have to do a factory reset on the light with the 3 top buttons on top of the light to get into pairing mode. Have you done the reset as well?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I feel like I read about this before with used ecotech devices. My memory isn't great so I maybe wrong but I think it had to do with the devices bring registered to someone else's ecosmart account. Ecotech had to be contacted to remove the device from the previous owners account. Like I said I may be wrong but it might be worth contacting them to ask.
I remember something about this as well.
When I had issues with ESL ( over a 10 year period ) one of the things I would do is uninstall the connection manager and re-install it. Do the same with ESL. Re-boot the computer.
ALSO, I think I have read somewhere that once a XR15-XR30 gen 4 goes with Mobius, it's difficult to go back to ESL?? Maybe the previous owner went with Mobius?

Then call Ecotech.
I've dealt with ETM a couple times lately and you might not get the right answer with the first person ( new hires?), but try back and get with someone else.
Took a couple calls for me to get the answer I needed last time.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALSO, I think I have read somewhere that once a XR15-XR30 gen 4 goes with Mobius, it's difficult to go back to ESL?? Maybe the previous owner went with Mobius?
Actually it's not too bad. My radions are gen 4. I will say tho it's easier for me to upgrade and downgrade using ESL with a reeflink vs mobius but I've always been more comfortable using ESL. Mobius and I are just beginning to get along somewhat. I wanted a couple of new MP40s and they are mobius only per ecotech support so I switched all 8 of my older devices (gen 4 radions and older vortechs) Mobius seems to be better that it was when I tried it previously.
If the OPs lights are mobius ready I would probably go that route.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Actually it's not too bad. My radions are gen 4. I will say tho it's easier for me to upgrade and downgrade using ESL with a reeflink vs mobius but I've always been more comfortable using ESL. Mobius and I are just beginning to get along somewhat. I wanted a couple of new MP40s and they are mobius only per ecotech support so I switched all 8 of my older devices (gen 4 radions and older vortechs) Mobius seems to be better that it was when I tried it previously.
If the OPs lights are mobius ready I would probably go that route.
I'm the opposite in ESL vs Mobius.
When ESL first came out and I learned to use it, it was heaven compared to the on or off of previous light systems, and the dial control of black box leds.
I always loved the preset programs, the ability to tweak all of the settings on a full sized screen.
I am not of the phone control generation and I really don't care for the app.
I've even gone back to T5's on one of my tanks, selling off my Radions for that system.

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know this is an old thread, but thought maybe someone might know and help . I used "live" to set up my gen 4 lights and now I cannot find a cable with the correct connection end to plug into the lights . What size USB is the port on the side of the lights? It crazy that I cannot find it anywhere- I think its a micro , but no where that I can find that it is for sure a Micro USB.

OP
OP
M

Marcusnapoleon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i know this is an old thread, but thought maybe someone might know and help . I used "live" to set up my gen 4 lights and now I cannot find a cable with the correct connection end to plug into the lights . What size USB is the port on the side of the lights? It crazy that I cannot find it anywhere- I think its a micro , but no where that I can find that it is for sure a Micro USB.
It turns out that my gen 4 had a mobius chip so the Mobius app worked but its micro usb, but not all cables work. Some cables are made for more than power transfer, there are some (often a little more expensive) that can be used for transferring files, information etc to like a computer. So every micro usb cable isn't the same. Try looking around and try all the Micro usb cables that you have.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I may be wrong but isn't the micro connection called usb-c?
I lost my main cable for my radions, but like a hoarder I saved every single usb to micro cable for phones, hard drives, tablets over the years and I found a couple that fit the radion connection.

OP
OP
M

Marcusnapoleon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be wrong but isn't the micro connection called usb-c?
I lost my main cable for my radions, but like a hoarder I saved every single usb to micro cable for phones, hard drives, tablets over the years and I found a couple that fit the radion connection.
No, USB-C wasnt on the G4, mine has micro-usb

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think its a micro - I have many type-C cords and they do not fit.

My G4's say they are Mobius ready in "live"- but I have no idea how to do that. Don't you have to connect them via hard wire/cord to initialize it? If so, then again I need to find a cord that fits.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I do think its a micro - I have many type-C cords and they do not fit.

My G4's say they are Mobius ready in "live"- but I have no idea how to do that. Don't you have to connect them via hard wire/cord to initialize it? If so, then again I need to find a cord that fits.
I have not tried to connect a gen 4 to Mobius, but if it says it's ready, try downloading Mobius to your phone and give it a try.

acer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I tried that and it wants me to sign into my goggle account in Playstore - which I have never done, never downloaded an app - I know - that is weird. I am crazy old school and do not let google or anybody else run my life, know my location ( still use a actual paper map when I have to) , or have access to what I consider private. I think I made a google account like 4 years ago when I got my first "smart phone" because I had to for it to work - no idea what the password or anything else is on that account. SO, I guess I am outta luck. I will order a USB micro to USB-A cord and hope I can use it on my old win7 laptop in "live" or I guess I will just use the lights "as is" or sell them and get lights that have their own program within the controller - is there such a thing?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ya, I tried that and it wants me to sign into my goggle account in Playstore - which I have never done, never downloaded an app - I know - that is weird. I am crazy old school and do not let google or anybody else run my life, know my location ( still use a actual paper map when I have to) , or have access to what I consider private. I think I made a google account like 4 years ago when I got my first "smart phone" because I had to for it to work - no idea what the password or anything else is on that account. SO, I guess I am outta luck. I will order a USB micro to USB-A cord and hope I can use it on my old win7 laptop in "live" or I guess I will just use the lights "as is" or sell them and get lights that have their own program within the controller - is there such a thing?
With the google sign in there should a "forgot password" line/space. Try going through that process, using your current email address. Maybe doing a second google account if the email address was an old one.
Not sure what else. I'm not tech savvy.
As far as the lights with it's own controls, I'm using a T5 fixture with a plug-in timer.

Everything seems to have an app on a phone these days. I'm not terribly fond of that format especially with a funky ( seems incomplete compared to ESL ) app like Mobius.

You might be better off finding the correct cord and staying with ESL if that's what you are used to.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back